Oct. South Florida Palm Society Meeting

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
The South Florida Palm Society is having a meeting at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens on Monday, October 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm. Light refreshments are usually served at 6:30 pm. You do not need to be a member of the Society to attend. Dr. Scott Zona will be making an excellent presentation.

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables, Florida 33156
(305) 667-1651

An auction of donated palms will be held at the conclusion of Dr. Zona's presentation. :)

It was a very nice turn out, about 50 people. The best looking palm at the auction was grown by yours truly. A very large 3 gallon Dypsis carlsmithii (formerly known as D. "stumpy") that went for $22.00. :)

Dr. Zona's presentation was very informative. There are two new genera Saribis and Laiona. Pritchardiopsis genus has been deleted and the single species was moved into the new genus Saribus. You don't see these kinds of developments occuriing in the palm world often. :p

Thanks for the update Moose.

Nice price on the Stumpy. And we know that is one of the Malagsy forest giants that will grow in Florida. I wish there were people that were willing to record presentations like Zona's so I could put them on Palmpedia like I have done in the past.

Thanks for the update Moose.

Nice price on the Stumpy. And we know that is one of the Malagsy forest giants that will grow in Florida. I wish there were people that were willing to record presentations like Zona's so I could put them on Palmpedia like I have done in the past.

Dean - Dr. Zona was using our meeting as a practice (test) presentation. The Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms is being updated by Zona & Paul Craft. 75% of the photos will be new. Bob Riffle is also listed as an author since much of his work in the original edition will be preserved. Publication should be released Spring 2012. :)