Oahu Rainbow

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Oahu Rainbow is a moderate growing Ti, painting its dark green leaves (21"x5") in fine streaks of light greens, cream and pink. Grows well in a filtered light location in the garden.
Img_6164.jpg
Img_6165.jpg
Img_6166.jpg

It is a great cultivar with color unlike any other I have seen. Mine has more pink mixed with the green and white than what I see in your photos. I don't know if it is because of the amount of sun it is getting. I will take a picture once it flushes out some new growth, although I don't think I can ever match the quality of your pictures. The one large stem I left after cutting it back has some wind damage and what I assume is snail feeding, so looks bad at the moment. I have been lucky so far and have not had many problems with insects or disease on the majority of my cordylines.

Flowers have now opened and I hope for a fruit set.
Img_8881.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked this one up from the Peter's at the USF sale yesterday. I have high hopes for this one!
I think it will live up to your high hopes Bren. It is one of my top favorites( if not my top favorite). I have kept it potted for fear that something may happen to it. I repotted it last week and took four root cuttings to get more plants going of it. Wish I had made the USF sale I would have grabbed them up.
pizap.com14446764237881.jpg
pizap.com14446765262981.jpg

What a great leaf on this Ti... there are so many attributes ...the broad long leaf, the color striations...and the bloom is so full and compact! WOW! Congrats! Mark

WOW! Now I find that amazing, and that small section of cane! I'd hate to do the math on how long ago I was in my plant physiology class...... but I sure wouldn't believe that lil bit a cane could produce enough carbohydrates to send out a root of that size!!!! When did you start the cutting? Were you just wanting to see if there were roots?... or wanting to pot it up? Great camera too to git a good pic of such a small image!

WOW! Now I find that amazing, and that small section of cane! I'd hate to do the math on how long ago I was in my plant physiology class...... but I sure wouldn't believe that lil bit a cane could produce enough carbohydrates to send out a root of that size!!!! When did you start the cutting? Were you just wanting to see if there were roots?... or wanting to pot it up? Great camera too to git a good pic of such a small image!
Mark, That is a photo of a root cutting (removed from the root) not a piece of cane. I have had no luck rooting such a small piece of Ti cane, but the root cuttings work well when this small. It has been 3 weeks now for the root cuttings and I dug this one out of the soil to see the progress. I did notice what looks to be a couple of growth nodes (those little white spots on the old root in the photo) on the piece along with the new root. I should have used the moss baggie method on these as the progress was faster, but it was the high heat of summer when I did the other Ti root cuttings. I believe the 80 degree lows of summer vs the 60 degree lows now is the big factor in progress rate. I noticed in the summer the root cuttings had growth out in 4 weeks time.

pizap.com14456430788811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The root cuttings from last fall put out growth with the colors from the start.
pizap.com14712922151811.jpg

Luna Moth on leaf...
pizap.com14720699967991.jpg

No worries as the Luna Moth has no moth and does not eat.