Noid Update?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Some of you were finding an unknown cultivar in the Big Box Stores that was starting to get referred to as "The Noid". Unfortunately, none made it to the BBS in my area. It has been a year and it would be great if we could see some updated photos of "The Noid". How fast is this plant? :confused:

Attachments

• noid.jpg
    noid.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 186
  • begging.jpg
    begging.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 106
  • Croton Bug.jpg
    Croton Bug.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 198
  • Bullwinkle.jpg
    Bullwinkle.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 189
  • gardening.jpg
    gardening.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 184
To my knowledge, all of the plants from HD or LS have been identified. This of course excludes the oddball, one-of-kind, plant that some nursery delivered by accident (or intentionally.) Here's a list of what I've seen over the years in South Florida:
Petra, Mammay, and Gold Dust are standard. Sometimes you can find a Golden Mammay mixed in with the multicolored ones. And Yellow Petra pops up here and there.
Years ago I bought Piecrust in South Miami on a regular basis.
Then we had the first iteration of Dreadlocks, followed by Picasso's Paintbrush, AFD#5, AFD#7 (both with a variety of names) and Magnificent.
On an irregular basis you can find Mrs. Iceton and in miniature's section (usually Angel Plants stock) there's Andrew (which is not the right name, but I can't remember the correct one), Yellow and Red Banana, Batik, and Punctatum.

Publix has Gloriosum Superbum several times a year.

Here is my NoID plants now. Nothing great here.

Attachments

• IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5854.jpg
    IMG_5854.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5856.jpg
    IMG_5856.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 107
At least this one added color.

Attachments

• IMG_5857.jpg
    IMG_5857.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 125
and these taking up space.

Attachments

• IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5851.jpg
    IMG_5851.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 118
Scott - 1, 2, and 4 in your first set of photos is Captain (Colonel?) Gilbert Cutler that just needs more sun to color out. The plant in the second posting appears to be Norma. The last one is going to be a mystery until it gets some color. Good luck.

Here are some fresh shots of my NoID from last year.
http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?1885-Another-unknown-from-Lowes
I think it is a Mammy sport as I saw this same plant sporting from a Mammy last year...
I also think it may be the same as Scott's plant in post #6 above...

It was getting mainly morning sun until about a month ago when I trimmed the bamboo which resulted in more sun and hence a bit of sunburn as you can see on some of the leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_8225a.jpg
    IMG_8225a.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8226a.jpg
    IMG_8226a.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8227a.jpg
    IMG_8227a.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 101
Another bigbox NoID from last year, pic taken yesterday...
This one has really colored up nicely compared to last year.
Same sun exposure as my first one above.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_8224a.jpg
    IMG_8224a.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 116
Yes, that's Pappey or Pappy, a common sport from Mammay or Mammey. The second one is a Norma. The blotching gives it away. And your last one is an AFD #7 with very nice color.

LOL, it took me awhile to figure out what a Noid was. The No ID made the light bulb turn on over my head!

That is a good list above on what the big box stores provide. I'm constantly walking through them looking for something different. If you are in the area, Rockledge Gardens has been getting some good croton variety. They haven't updated their stock since I guess 'winter' is coming. But, I went there a few months ago and was impressed with how many different and healthy looking variety they had.

Here is mine that Scott sent me. This was a month ago and this plant seems to be getting more and more color. It is in about 1/2 day sun.
IMG_1710.jpg