Noid Update?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Nov 26, 2011.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Some of you were finding an unknown cultivar in the Big Box Stores that was starting to get referred to as "The Noid". Unfortunately, none made it to the BBS in my area. It has been a year and it would be great if we could see some updated photos of "The Noid". How fast is this plant? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, all of the plants from HD or LS have been identified. This of course excludes the oddball, one-of-kind, plant that some nursery delivered by accident (or intentionally.) Here's a list of what I've seen over the years in South Florida:
    Petra, Mammay, and Gold Dust are standard. Sometimes you can find a Golden Mammay mixed in with the multicolored ones. And Yellow Petra pops up here and there.
    Years ago I bought Piecrust in South Miami on a regular basis.
    Then we had the first iteration of Dreadlocks, followed by Picasso's Paintbrush, AFD#5, AFD#7 (both with a variety of names) and Magnificent.
    On an irregular basis you can find Mrs. Iceton and in miniature's section (usually Angel Plants stock) there's Andrew (which is not the right name, but I can't remember the correct one), Yellow and Red Banana, Batik, and Punctatum.

Publix has Gloriosum Superbum several times a year.

3. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

I'll get a fresh photo of my NOID this weekend....
    I think it looks better this year than last, seems to be a medium grower but hard to say for sure with such dry weather this year...

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is my NoID plants now. Nothing great here.

Attached Files:

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

At least this one added color.

Attached Files:

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

and these taking up space.

Attached Files:

7. fawnridge

Scott - 1, 2, and 4 in your first set of photos is Captain (Colonel?) Gilbert Cutler that just needs more sun to color out. The plant in the second posting appears to be Norma. The last one is going to be a mystery until it gets some color. Good luck.

8. Crotonologist

Here are some fresh shots of my NoID from last year.
    http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?1885-Another-unknown-from-Lowes
    I think it is a Mammy sport as I saw this same plant sporting from a Mammy last year...
    I also think it may be the same as Scott's plant in post #6 above...

It was getting mainly morning sun until about a month ago when I trimmed the bamboo which resulted in more sun and hence a bit of sunburn as you can see on some of the leaves.

Attached Files:

9. Crotonologist

A fresh photo of my Norma (ID'd on this forum) from last year:
    IMG_8217a.jpg

And a new bigbox plant I found last month which I suspect is also a Norma:
    IMG_8216a.jpg

10. Crotonologist

Another bigbox NoID from last year, pic taken yesterday...
    This one has really colored up nicely compared to last year.
    Same sun exposure as my first one above.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

11. fawnridge

Yes, that's Pappey or Pappy, a common sport from Mammay or Mammey. The second one is a Norma. The blotching gives it away. And your last one is an AFD #7 with very nice color.

12. Crotonologist

13. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

LOL, it took me awhile to figure out what a Noid was. The No ID made the light bulb turn on over my head!

That is a good list above on what the big box stores provide. I'm constantly walking through them looking for something different. If you are in the area, Rockledge Gardens has been getting some good croton variety. They haven't updated their stock since I guess 'winter' is coming. But, I went there a few months ago and was impressed with how many different and healthy looking variety they had.

14. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Dave, I haven't been to Rockledge Gardens in years. That will be a must on the 10th. Do they still have the big Chambeyronia in the parking lot?

15. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

I'm not sure. However, I am going to Rockledge Gardens on Wednesday morning. I'll look for it.

16. bags

bags Member

Here is mine that Scott sent me. This was a month ago and this plant seems to be getting more and more color. It is in about 1/2 day sun. [​IMG]