no new leaves on my propagated plants

greenthumb

04/11/11
Hi there - this forum is a surprise to me - I never would have thought so many people are interested in crotons!

my question is - I took some cuttings and rooted them in water, this was several months ago, then about 6 weeks ago I transplanted them into a pot and they've been doing just great - but there's no new leaves! the leaves that are there are maybe a bit larger and seem quite happy but I think it's sort of odd they haven't sprouted any new growth.

the mother plant I took the cuttings from is growing very fast, however, and has since replaced what I cut plus more to boot.

any suggestions or comments?

greenthumb, Welcome aboard! Croton cuttings can be slow untill you get a good root system. Some more than others. Do you know the name of your Croton. Just a note you may get more help if you post in the Croton Forum as that is where the Croton experts visit most.

hmm, well thank you for your reply even though it appeared you didn't read my post completely.

this is allegedly the "general discussion" forum and I don't see any sort of "Croton Forum" that you mention, perhaps you have accustomed yourself to the format here but as a newcomer, it's actually quite difficult to navigate. if you want to provide a link that would be helpful, but then, if you wanted to be helpful you would have provided the link in the first place, I suppose.

hmm, well thank you for your reply even though it appeared you didn't read my post completely.

this is allegedly the "general discussion" forum and I don't see any sort of "Croton Forum" that you mention, perhaps you have accustomed yourself to the format here but as a newcomer, it's actually quite difficult to navigate. if you want to provide a link that would be helpful, but then, if you wanted to be helpful you would have provided the link in the first place, I suppose.
GreenThumb - Note that the forum you posted in says "General Palm Discussions."

Here is the link to the forum page where you can see the forum for "The Croton Society." (Fourth one down) http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/forum.php There is a link to this main forum page on virtually every other page on this site in the green navigation bar, or in the links in the left sidebar of the Wiki Sister Site.

To answer your question. As mentioned, from cuttings crotons can be slow. So as long as it is not dead, it will be growing enough roots that it will eventually feel "secure" enough to send out a new flush of leaves. Just be sure that you don't have any bugs or slugs that could eat the tender new buds before you even notice them.

I will

I finally had a cutting that sprouted some leaves a year after I planted it. I thought it was dead and almost threw it out... glad I didn't!

My mistake! I really thought you had seen the Croton Forum as you said " I never would have thought so many people are interested in Crotons" hmm.....................................................................