No new leaves on Captain Gilbert Cutler

annafl

Esteemed Member
I have one of these from 7-8 years back, and a good sized rooting of the mama. This year they have both decided to stall. Very few new leaves and lots of flowers. Don't remember this from other years although I never really paid attention. Very healthy otherwise, I think. Anyone's plant do this? Do some wait till fall to leaf out? What gives. No, Ray, no mites on this one either. I am new to crotons, but a pretty seasoned gardener. The FDR next to them has grown nicely, as well as the other nearby plants. Just the mama and the daughter which are 5 feet apart. Any clues or ideas?

My Capt. Gilbert Cutler has flushed no leaves this year. I believe the cause was too much shade from low hanging Jacaranda tree branches. The low branches got trimmed a couple of weeks ago, viola one branch is flushing new leaves. Not knowing your growing conditions, I can't answer for sure Ana. Franklin Roosevelt does do well in heavy shade.

One thing that Jeff Searle taught me is to trim off flowers if you want new leaves. Energy is being used making them flowers. This is especially true for newly air layered plants. They get stressed and then flower.

...and every once in a while I get a crotons that just slowly dies for no apparent reason other than the roots are almost gone. Crotons all around it are growing just fine. Go figure...
Good advice on pinching emerging inflorescences - wasted energy unless your looking for flowers for propagation.

Thanks Ron and Phil. I have been trimming the flowers off as soon as I see them. I go to it every couple of days expecting to see more. I guess there's nothing to do but keep watching it. Phil, you may very well be right. Crotons are weird plants.:(

My Capt. Gilbert Cutler has flushed no leaves this year. I believe the cause was too much shade from low hanging Jacaranda tree branches. The low branches got trimmed a couple of weeks ago, viola one branch is flushing new leaves. Not knowing your growing conditions, I can't answer for sure Ana. Franklin Roosevelt does do well in heavy shade.

One thing that Jeff Searle taught me is to trim off flowers if you want new leaves. Energy is being used making them flowers. This is especially true for newly air layered plants. They get stressed and then flower.

The Moose Land Captain Gilbert Cutler woke up after getting some dappling of light. These photos show alot of light but this is short lived, peeking through the canopy. It worked is all I care about.

How is yours looking Ana? All the rain should have helped. If not, pick up a bag of Palm Special at Jeff's sale - it would love to dine on that yummy, yummy mixture.

Attachments

• CGC 1.JPG
    CGC 1.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 92
  • CGC 2.JPG
    CGC 2.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 80
  • CGC 3.JPG
    CGC 3.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 90
Hi Ron,

Come to find out, when we had six inches of rain, my husband worried that the pool would overflow, so he siphoned many hours worth of pool water through a hose into that area. There are a few crotons there and none are doing well except FDR (tough cookie). It is not dying, just not putting out new leaves. I put an air layer on a nice branch just in case. Don't know how long the area soil will be tainted or if it was just the immediate dose of chemicals that had an impact. :( It's always something!