Nina's seedlings 2014

Discussion in 'HIBISCUS HAVEN' started by Ninja, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

last sunday I planted the first batch of seeds.. and this weekend I already got some action :)
    here's my mini-ikea-greenhouse
    seedlings14_small_1.JPG

and here the first seedlings from my 'holy' seedpod Acapulco Gold x Bayou Irene...whish me luck
    seedlings14_small_2.JPG

Moose and putu enjula like this.
  2. putu enjula

putu enjula Well-Known Member

Your mini greenhouse is sooo cute!!! Good luck with those! So were those fresh seeds? Not even my fresh ones come up that fast!

3. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

hi Angela, no this were 'old' seeds.
    I harvested them about a year ago, and kept them for this season. Actually I was a bit nervous if and when they would sprout given that I stored them for so long. The ideal planting season here is from february (or even january if you can get them enough light) until march or april, so the seedlings can grow a bit, get outdoors during summer and get strong enough to survive the next winter indoors. So I basically kept all the seeds that I harvested either to late or had no space for for this season. And I'm glad it works :). I nicked them and put them into moist substrate, additionally I use a heating mat. I guess that speeds things up.
    The crosses that already sprouted include Climax x Dark Continent, Suntan x White Diamonds (the only usable cross of WD I have so far..), Me Oh My Oh x Dark Continent, the Acapulco Gold seedlings and a Jason Blue x Ice Fairy cross. I guess I'll plant a second batch soon.

4. putu enjula

Ah, I don't have a heating pad so they're at mother nature's mercy!!

5. putu enjula

Can you post all your blooms from your past seedlings? I wanna see!!

6. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

yes, I'll throw them in a separate thread. although I don't have too many :D

7. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

I did some picking apart yesterday (basically made a huge mess) and planted a couple more 'in memoriam' seeds (of plants I lost this winter)

here's the seedling window:

seedlingchaos.JPG

you can also see my (pathetic) palms there, but as long as I'm in the flat I don't mind that they grow slowly.
    They are about three years old. One is a taiwan sugar palm (arenga engleri) the other two - no idea.
    The biggest one I believed was a simple phoenix canariensis (got one of those at the office) until it's leaves unfolded in a fan-shape..
    and there's also some containers with chili in between - no strange shaped hibiscus :D

Moose likes this.
  8. putu enjula

Maybe you'll get more palms and tis someday :)

9. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

more newbies!
    DSC05760.JPG DSC05762.JPG
    DSC05763.JPG
    and the batch of my precious Acapulco Gold x Bayou Irene seedlings
    DSC05761.JPG

Moose likes this.
  10. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Boy, it's easy to see how much you love your plants and have so much fun growing them.

11. putu enjula

Looking good! I'm fighting a losing battle against fungus gnats :(
    I saw brown on the root of a seedling and dug it up and all the root was eaten/rotted away :(

Those sound like some really interesting crosses. Can't wait til my white diamonds starts blooming but that's probably six months away at least.

12. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

oh that sucks... I have some fungus gnats buzzing around as well but apparently not enough to damage my plants. do you have any systemic pesticide you could water them with?

on white diamonds - I was a bit disappointed, if it's doing well, mine grows into a long lanky plant. so I pruned it rather often with the result that I had very few blooms so far and only two crosses that worked out.
    I'll try to cross it to a nicer plant to get something better.

and on the crosses - yes, this is the first growing season for me with really really interesting crosses. Johan already has some of those seeds growing since last year.
    as last summer didn't work out that well with seedlings I'm considering to keep them indoors to have more stable condition.
    last year was the first entire summer being in the new flat and therefore balcony and a crazy mix of weeks with rain and then scorchingly hot temperatures - add a white fly plague to that and you have a full grown disaster. I lost most of last years seedlings, the ones that survived where the most tiny scrawny plants I was considering to throw in the bin... I guess now I'm stuck with them :D

I hope I'll learn from my mistakes and do better this year - and I'm really glad I sent those seeds to Johan last summer instead of getting greedy and planting them right away.

13. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

btw it froze last night! my poor salad... and basil! duh..

14. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

some of them start to look like real plants now - and I found aphids on them!!!
    no idea how they got there, probably came in through the window (???) those seedlings never left the room and were more or less isolated from other plants.
    fascinating.
    DSC06264.JPG

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ninja, What is the average date of the last and first freeze for your area?

16. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

wow, that depends very much on the area. but from what I observed here in Linz (not high altitude) over the last years, or this year - the last freeze this spring was on the post above, so 17th april. first freezes in autumn can be from beginning of october, last year it didn't freeze until november. the safe window for having tropical plants like hibiscus outdoors is mid of may until beginning of october.

17. putu enjula

That's quite a set up you have there!!

18. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

so, here's an update - finally... we've been having really decent weather lately, so I just couldn't bring myself up to switching on the computer at home (no smartphone yet, I try to resist :p)
    here's a picture I took on 7th July, initially to show Angela that violet Anthurium I had told her about , hibiscus seedlings in the background

DSC06331.JPG

and here's todays view of the seedling window

DSC06507.JPG

the 'bigger' Ti's that were in the glasshouse were moved to the balcony, so the little things in the yoghurt cups are - freshly hatched PLUMERIAs!!

DSC06508.JPG
    :D

19. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Looking good there.

20. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Your outdoor growing season was the same as I had when I lived in Central Virginia. Great job on over wintering your tropical plants .

21. putu enjula

Wow! I've never gotten my hands on any plumeria seed. How exciting! The possibilities are endless... You could end up with anything!

22. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

update on the seedlings - constant fight agains white flies, most are growing nicely, three or four are giving up by now.
    DSC06894.JPG

putu enjula and Moose like this.
  23. putu enjula

Wow!!! That's great!!! So big already. Mine are taking forever!!

24. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

I've discoverd tiny tiny buds on two Acapulco Gold x Bayou Irene seedlings (one of them was already dropped again ... duh..)
    And I've been seeing huge holes in my seedlings leaves (they have never been outdoors) - this weekend while showering them I finally discovered the reason - a huge fat caterpillar! In my flat!

25. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

:Dead Did you take a photo before it got smashed to smithereens ? GreyAlien HungOver How did that caterpillar's egg get deposited in your flat ? Watching

26. putu enjula

I have to keep all my seedlings covered because of caterpillars. I put big organza bags on the ones in four inch pots!

27. Dypsisdean

I'm having palm and other losses from the caterpillar of the Banana Moth. These caterpillars are the worse because they are so hungry, and can travel long distances at night (or at least their eggs can). And these ones of the banana moth are the boring type, so surface sprays do nothing.

28. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

I'm going to use that thread for all my seedlings, since I have next to nothing for 2015.. Anyway - here are some blooms:
    AcapulcoGold_x_BayouIrene.JPG Suntan_x_WhiteDiamonds_No1_2015_1.JPG 2012-51-05_IceFairy_x_ElectricPizzazz_2015_02.JPG Climax_x_Tamibon-5_2015_1.JPG

Attached Files:

29. Dypsisdean

Good job Nina - a couple of those are real winners. I'm partial to the purples/blues.

Looks as if your caretaker came through for you. :)