Nice color

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by annafl, Jan 16, 2014.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Almost all my crotons seem to be progressively intensifying their colors. I wanted to post a few now, because after this very cool week, I don't know what will happen to some. Here goes:

1)William Craig-Thanks Judy
    2)Irene Kingsley- love the contrast of new and old foliage. Very striking.
    3 and 4)General MacArthur-Thanks Mike Woolery
    5 and 6)Raphael- so pretty right now with pinks intensifying

Attached Files:

2. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Just a few more:

1)Gloriosa- Thanks, Ron
    2)Rudy Bachman-Thanks, Marie
    3)Piecrust
    4)Rocio
    5)Plaid Oak-Thanks, Phil
    6)Cutler's Gulfstream

Attached Files:

3. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

Superior colored plants...it gets no better!

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Looking great Anna but you have the wrong general :) That one is Marshall

5. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Anna, your crotons look amazing! Great pics- I wish I could take photos with that kind of detail. Good thinking with taking these while the weather was still nice. Some of my stuff is starting to get a little beat up from the wind. Please keep up the good work.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Can't say much more than the others, but Ana your plants are really looking nice and getting some size. Good luck with the cooler weather.

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thank-you, Jerry, Mike, Tim and Jeff! They are coming along and I'm giving them a lot of TLC. It's 39 here right now, with a chilly week ahead. Don't know what will happen. I don't believe in covering things outside but I did bring the ones in pots in the garage. Hoping it doesn't get any colder than this this winter.

Mike, I do know it's a General Marshall. I had a momentary mental lapse when I was typing is all. Unfortunately, that happens more and more often nowadays:confused:. I have really enjoyed that little plant. It is one of my favorites-always so colorful. Thank-you.

8. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Hi Ann...that Irene Kingsley really looks good! Black and red with the trident leaves certainly looks DEVILISH !!! ;)

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ana is a new disciple of the use of K-Mag to "winterize" her plants. My theory is that these mineral supplements also manifests the development of outstanding colors.

Just saying ... ;)

10. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, Robertico. I'm not that much a fan of the dark leaves, but when the new foliage comes out, the contrast is remarkable.

Ron, I have been using K-mag. Don't know if that's making a difference, but after this winter I might decide whether it's worth the maybe factor. It certainly isn't hurting.

11. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Great job Ana. I hope the weather doesn't set you back any. Just keep them well hydrated.:)

12. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, Randy.:)

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ana - we have a retired surgeon here who is majorly into plants. He introduced me to the use of K-Mag. I'd like to get him to speak at a Tropical & Exotic Plant Society meeting. The way he explains its benefits, it just seems so logical.

Lets see what your perspective is say around mid March. :)

14. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Wish I could be there for meetings. You'll have to tell me what he says, Ron, ok?

15. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

FYI - Hawaiian soils are notoriously deficient in K - but I never gave it a thought because I use a well rounded fertilizer. However, an experienced grower pointed out to me last year that my older leaves on my palms were exhibiting K deficiency. I just thought it was lack of water, or normal. So I started using K-Mag on these palms and after 6 months the difference is striking. No more yellow/orange on the oldest leaves.

I did some more reading, and there is some interesting material on K, and how trimming the older leaves just exacerbates the deficiency. And how once affected, the older leaves will never recover. You will just have to wait for them to be replaced with the newer ones which will stay green since the K is now available - so it takes a while to witness the results. The other interesting thing is that K has to be applied in the proper ratio with Mag. And that uptake is a function of having the proper pH.

So, in other words - I'm a K convert.

16. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

That's a nice testimonial, Dean. Florida soils are usually poor in K also. It seems like many feel it is a good thing. I will have an opinion by spring, I think.