New Year airlayers

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
20150101_132253 (1).jpg
After our wonderful party on Nov 1 I woke up Sunday Nov 2nd energized and put on a few airlayers .
Thanks to our warm December (average around 72 low and 82 high temps for most of Dec) I took the last 6 off this morning and they all rooted great. In the back We have Stan big leaf unknown ( a great plant that no two leaves are alike) then White Kentucky,then a seedling that I finally airlayered,In the front Apple Thai,Coral Showers and Green Dragon.Happy New Year to all and let us hope the warm weather continues.

And the first bid on the seedling is 3.00........ Nice job neighbor... Happy New Year one and all......

The last two are the red plant we could not identify at the meeting .This plant keeps very deep reds in low light (possibly Dino Martens but I had alook at some pics that I had of Dino and this one looks to be a better plant.The big leafed plant beside it is Titan from Keith
20150101_140746 (2).jpg

Mike, amazing that you were already able to get air layers to root well in such a short period of time this time of year. All these plants look exceptional. I am enamored with the red that we considered as Cover Girl. I think it is not. It is much better than Cover Girl. The others are striking as well. Wish I had something worthy to trade you. Thanks for posting these jawdroppers. Seems really slow around the forum. I hope others don't just view your plants, but actually post something.

Happy New Year to all.

Wow Mike! Great colors there. This is more proof that I need to start using Harell's fertilizer. Thanks for posting.

Really good stuff and idiot proof.You can just dump a handful on any plant, even small seedlings.Never any burn,lasts 90-120 days ,it really is a great product

Mike, tell us about your seedling. What great color and habit it has!

To be honest it is not the greatest plant.The new flush is pretty but fades out after a month of so.If you look at the lower leaves you will see that it turns into a muted green colour.While it is flushing it is very,very nice :)
Moderate grower.

I picked up this Coral showers up from Phil around 3 years ago.His Coral is spectacular,On mine the bright red fades out to a more faded dark color in time

To be honest it is not the greatest plant.The new flush is pretty but fades out after a month of so.If you look at the lower leaves you will see that it turns into a muted green colour.While it is flushing it is very,very nice :)
Moderate grower.
But Mike, that is true for lots of crotons, isn't it? I think it's pretty to see the bright yellow/orange with the darker tones. Nice contrast.

Yes, that Coral Shower is quite the looker. I've seen Phil's too. His is stunning also. Phil, if you're out there, will you show us your Coral Shower?

OK, here's a few older pics. First two are from 2011; second two from 2012, and last one from 2014. Much depends upon time of year. lighting, and skill of photographer.

Attachments

• DSCN3492.JPG
    DSCN3492.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3493.JPG
    DSCN3493.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN4102.JPG
    DSCN4102.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN4103.JPG
    DSCN4103.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN5554.JPG
    DSCN5554.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 85
...and here's a few taken tonight with a flash. Two different plants about 5 ft. apart.
DSCN5871.JPG DSCN5872.JPG DSCN5873.JPG DSCN5874.JPG DSCN5871.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5872.JPG
    DSCN5872.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN5873.JPG
    DSCN5873.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN5874.JPG
    DSCN5874.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 93
Nice, Phil. Thanks! As I recall, that orangy-pinkish-reddish color yours has is almost fluorescent. I don't think I'd ever seen another croton with that color. I'm pretty sure yours is in the wiki. I'll have to take a look to be positive. Thanks for posting your pics. Coral Shower is a beautiful cultivar. It's nice to see the different looks it can give. From Mike's red-red, to Phil's orangy-pink-red, to Ricky's splattering of all the colors.

I did these two on Dec 1st.I actually did around 12 layers but these two are the only ones that were well rooted.I guess 8 weeks in mid winter is not too bad.Compte de Castellaine and Victory rooted nicely.
20150128_161001 (2).jpg

I keep hearing reference to Harrels fertilizer from you and Lamar could you tell me what formula you use and a location for purchase

I have used both 18-7-14 and 20-4-11 at least I think those are the numbers.Lamar has more info,I will ask him to comment here also.Great stuff,lasts 90-120 days,nothing ever gets burned no matter how tender and the price is good also.Around $40 per 50lb bag.I buy the 120 day blends.Lamar has tried more blends than me and can give much better info.
1120 Northwest 7th Street, Homestead, FL 33030
(305) 247-8663