New Year airlayers

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Bullwinkle, Jan 1, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

20150101_132253 (1).jpg After our wonderful party on Nov 1 I woke up Sunday Nov 2nd energized and put on a few airlayers .
    Thanks to our warm December (average around 72 low and 82 high temps for most of Dec) I took the last 6 off this morning and they all rooted great. In the back We have Stan big leaf unknown ( a great plant that no two leaves are alike) then White Kentucky,then a seedling that I finally airlayered,In the front Apple Thai,Coral Showers and Green Dragon.Happy New Year to all and let us hope the warm weather continues.

2. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

And the first bid on the seedling is 3.00........ Nice job neighbor... Happy New Year one and all......

3. Bullwinkle

The last two are the red plant we could not identify at the meeting .This plant keeps very deep reds in low light (possibly Dino Martens but I had alook at some pics that I had of Dino and this one looks to be a better plant.The big leafed plant beside it is Titan from Keith 20150101_140746 (2).jpg .

Native son, Kingdavid and kwtimo like this.
  4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Mike, amazing that you were already able to get air layers to root well in such a short period of time this time of year. All these plants look exceptional. I am enamored with the red that we considered as Cover Girl. I think it is not. It is much better than Cover Girl. The others are striking as well. Wish I had something worthy to trade you. Thanks for posting these jawdroppers. Seems really slow around the forum. I hope others don't just view your plants, but actually post something.

Happy New Year to all.

5. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Wow Mike! Great colors there. This is more proof that I need to start using Harell's fertilizer. Thanks for posting.

6. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Harrell's. Just saying

7. Bullwinkle

Really good stuff and idiot proof.You can just dump a handful on any plant, even small seedlings.Never any burn,lasts 90-120 days ,it really is a great product

Native son likes this.
  8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Mike, tell us about your seedling. What great color and habit it has!

9. Bullwinkle

To be honest it is not the greatest plant.The new flush is pretty but fades out after a month of so.If you look at the lower leaves you will see that it turns into a muted green colour.While it is flushing it is very,very nice :)
    Moderate grower.

10. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Mike - The gorgeous red plant you call Coral Showers looks radically different from mine:
    coral1.jpg
    coral2.jpg
    coral3.jpg

annafl and Kingdavid like this.
  11. Bullwinkle

I picked up this Coral showers up from Phil around 3 years ago.His Coral is spectacular,On mine the bright red fades out to a more faded dark color in time

12. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Randy and I got ours from Bob Saybourn as cuttings. Mine gets a lot of sun, perhaps in the shade it's more red?

13. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

But Mike, that is true for lots of crotons, isn't it? I think it's pretty to see the bright yellow/orange with the darker tones. Nice contrast.

Yes, that Coral Shower is quite the looker. I've seen Phil's too. His is stunning also. Phil, if you're out there, will you show us your Coral Shower?

14. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

OK, here's a few older pics. First two are from 2011; second two from 2012, and last one from 2014. Much depends upon time of year. lighting, and skill of photographer.

Attached Files:

annafl and Kingdavid like this.
  15. Phil Stager

...and here's a few taken tonight with a flash. Two different plants about 5 ft. apart.
    DSCN5871.JPG DSCN5872.JPG DSCN5873.JPG DSCN5874.JPG DSCN5871.JPG

Attached Files:

Kingdavid likes this.
  16. Phil Stager

))((*&*&^%$ last three are duplicates.

17. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Nice, Phil. Thanks! As I recall, that orangy-pinkish-reddish color yours has is almost fluorescent. I don't think I'd ever seen another croton with that color. I'm pretty sure yours is in the wiki. I'll have to take a look to be positive. Thanks for posting your pics. Coral Shower is a beautiful cultivar. It's nice to see the different looks it can give. From Mike's red-red, to Phil's orangy-pink-red, to Ricky's splattering of all the colors.

18. Bullwinkle

Last two are Heatwave from Jeff's 20150104_090525 (2).jpg sale a few years back and an unknown seedling from JC in Largo.

Moose, Kingdavid and kwtimo like this.
  19. Bullwinkle

I did these two on Dec 1st.I actually did around 12 layers but these two are the only ones that were well rooted.I guess 8 weeks in mid winter is not too bad.Compte de Castellaine and Victory rooted nicely. 20150128_161001 (2).jpg

20. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

I keep hearing reference to Harrels fertilizer from you and Lamar could you tell me what formula you use and a location for purchase

21. Bullwinkle

I have used both 18-7-14 and 20-4-11 at least I think those are the numbers.Lamar has more info,I will ask him to comment here also.Great stuff,lasts 90-120 days,nothing ever gets burned no matter how tender and the price is good also.Around $40 per 50lb bag.I buy the 120 day blends.Lamar has tried more blends than me and can give much better info.
    1120 Northwest 7th Street, Homestead, FL 33030
    (305) 247-8663

22. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Has the Green Dragon, Victory and Stan Wood Big Leaf Unknown been spoken for ? An intrigued croton mind is curious ... :rolleyes:

23. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Harrell's rules - the slow released nitrogen is so amazing. Priced way better then Nutricote !