New Revolutionary Online Palm Magazine

Dean,

Outstanding format. Easy to use, easy to read; a tremendous first effort!

I am of the old school with regard to white space/margins. If there was a little more margin space, the articles would not seem to run together and provide some natural breaks.

I mean this not as a criticism, but as a preference of mine; plus you would not feel pressed to 'fill' the magazine with text and pictures.

Thanks a million! (I would say billion or trillion, but I think those words are now reserved for the federal government).

John,
I appreciate the feedback, and understand what you are saying. While there are many advantages of this format over print, there are also a couple of disadvantages.

The biggest one I found myself confronted with was the limit of a size I could make a page and still have it fit on most people's monitor. This, in tandem with a limit to a font size that was equally viewable, left me really struggling to fit what I needed to on each page. I could easily use twice the real estate per page, and the constraints became difficult to manage.

Fitting what I needed to on each page without making photos too small, or having not enough type, was a real chore. Believe it or not, even a small margin around the edges would make that task that much more difficult. But I am sure I will learn and discover new techniques, or get other ideas about how to improve.

Thanks again for taking the time to register your input. It wasn't, nor will it be ignored. Whether I can utilize it is another story.

I am not sure I have anything that is of the quality required. I can speak to gardening in general but palm specific would be difficult. My only input in that area is the explanation of the 3 Beccariophoenix species and how to differentiate them while they are juveniles.....

Maybe I'll be smart enough someday

Well, if you know how to differentiate them as juveniles, then you are a better man than I. (excluding the "windows" form of course)

It would make an interesting and informative article though, and may generate some general interest and discussion. I could help with pics. I would like to know how to tell them apart as juveniles. Heck, I would like to know how to tell them apart as adults. :)

I make no claims as to who is the better man....:), only the older one.

However, I need to claify differentiation. I should have said as 'seedlings' rather that 'as juveniles' although what is the line of differentiation here? My arbitrary line is when strap leaves are present rather than the more adult forms, but this also presents problems as well. B. madagascariensis goes pinnate very early while alfredii hangs onto strap leaves for a longer time. Addtionally, the alfredii also looks to 'window' a little bit prior to going to a more adult leaf.

Adult differentiation? My (again) arbitrary line is when the leaves achieve full size. I would like to use flowering as the line, but many palms are so affected by their environment that they may never flower.

Since I have a little time to think about this, perhaps I can write this fron the aspect of the non-casual gardener. I may have some better data in 6 months rather than 3, though.

I think I'll start a thread in Palmtalk and get some input for life stages......