New Lens Practice

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by palmisland, Nov 25, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Just trying out my new low light lens on some stuff in the garden. :cool:

Names later, interesting guesses appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. palmisland

3. palmisland

DSC_0085.jpg DSC_0090.jpg DSC_0087.jpg DSC_0092.jpg DSC_0091.jpg DSC_0088.jpg DSC_0084.jpg DSC_0086.jpg I need to play with my camera's light settings a little:eek:

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I think you have a serious problem there, the lens is allowing too much color through!:)

5. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Don't have a lot of time tonight, but wanted to give it a try. It is a new day after all.

1-
    a)Caribbean Star
    b)Columbiana
    c)Mercer
    d)Rembrandt?
    e)Helen Edge?
    f)Wilma
    g)Mrs. Snyder Disraeli
    h)Oak Leaf Superba
    i)on left, ? Cutler's Giant, on right, Magnificent
    j)Coppinger's Hybrid (Cutler's Gulfstream)

2-
    a)Edwin T. Meredith
    b)?Kiss and Tell
    c)Prince of Orange
    d)Lt. Paget
    e)Nervia (AFD #9)
    f)Her Highness
    g)Caribbean Star
    h)Interesting plant with some tortoise shell characteristics, but wrong coloration. Dunno
    i)Raphael
    j)Dunno

3-
    a)?General MacArthur
    b)Corot
    c)Majesticum
    d)Eleanor Fischler
    e)Robert Halgrim
    f)Her Highness
    g)?
    h)Thea

Alright, Randy, you can beat me up now so I can get the names for everyone.:eek:

6. palmisland

Not bad for a start Ana:) That's quite an improvement, but.……..Stay tuned for Round #2

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Well, I guess I should be happy with improvement. Those were tough for me. Although I had the Thomas Edison and changed it at the last minute because of the wide midrib in the flush. Now I see I shouldn't have- it made me miss two. The last Raphael was silly too. I just knew you probably had a Thea in there somewhere.:)

8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Forgot to say, Randy, absolutely gorgeous plants. Your photography is great also. Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait for more.:cool:

9. palmisland

DSC_0073.jpg DSC_0062.jpg DSC_0067.jpg DSC_0059.jpg DSC_0064.jpg DSC_0069.jpg DSC_0078.jpg DSC_0074.jpg DSC_0080.jpg DSC_0070.jpg OK Ana. Give these a try (a couple are unknowns):rolleyes:

10. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Alright, it's a new day, but no more. Someone else take a turn or give us the names outright- my kids are home and too much I want to do!

a)Probably Geisha Girl, but might be Norwood Beauty. Too little of plant or scale to make a good guess.
    b)?Royal Flush- you know I have it in the brain
    c)Bimbo
    d)Mosaic- again, too little of plant shown
    e)?
    f)Freckles
    g)Glen Roof
    h)Joe Friday
    i)Chief
    j)Mrs. Snyder Disraeli, maybe Goldfinger and others

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Great pics Randy.My guess for D is Davis 87 and for F I am am guessing Tan Wee Kiat.

12. palmisland

-YUP

Nice going Ana. These were all not that easy!:p
    These were tough & Mike got 2 more.

13. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Beautiful plants, Randy, and thanks for the names. Yes, they were tough, especially since three out of the ten were unknowns.:rolleyes:

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Randy - there has been some discussion that Hot & Steamy and Waterfall are the same cultivar. I am from the camp that they are distinct. Waterfall is slower, has larger leaves and even more pink coloration. At least that has been my experience.

Do you have Hot & Steamy? What are your observations relative to the above mentioned characteristics? They would be confusing unless you were growing both cultivars IMO.

15. palmisland

I've found the opposite :confused: My Hot & Steamy is way slower & pinker than my Waterfall.
    DSC_0014.jpg DSC_0006.jpg Photos from this morning Waterfall left & Hot n Steamy on rt. :cool: Mmmmmmm:roll eyes:

Side by side there isn't much difference. Could they be the same? Mine have different lighting conditions.

16. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Waterfall.JPG

I agree Randy - it must be lighting conditions. I know that you are diligent like myself keeping up on your crotons nutritional requirement. I have to admit that the Waterfall has been accelerating its growth habit. Still by no means fast but much faster then a couple of years ago. Here is an updated photo from Saturday, August 9, 2014 and looking distinct from Hot & Steamy in my opinion.