New Lens Practice

palmisland

28/03/08
Just trying out my new low light lens on some stuff in the garden. :cool:

Names later, interesting guesses appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_0142.jpg
    DSC_0142.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0129.jpg
    DSC_0129.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0134.jpg
    DSC_0134.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 86
Don't have a lot of time tonight, but wanted to give it a try. It is a new day after all.

1-
a)Caribbean Star
b)Columbiana
c)Mercer
d)Rembrandt?
e)Helen Edge?
f)Wilma
g)Mrs. Snyder Disraeli
h)Oak Leaf Superba
i)on left, ? Cutler's Giant, on right, Magnificent
j)Coppinger's Hybrid (Cutler's Gulfstream)

2-
a)Edwin T. Meredith
b)?Kiss and Tell
c)Prince of Orange
d)Lt. Paget
e)Nervia (AFD #9)
f)Her Highness
g)Caribbean Star
h)Interesting plant with some tortoise shell characteristics, but wrong coloration. Dunno
i)Raphael
j)Dunno

3-
a)?General MacArthur
b)Corot
c)Majesticum
d)Eleanor Fischler
e)Robert Halgrim
f)Her Highness
g)?
h)Thea

Alright, Randy, you can beat me up now so I can get the names for everyone.:eek:

Don't have a lot of time tonight, but wanted to give it a try. It is a new day after all.

Wow, You've improved;)

1-
a)Caribbean Star -THOMAS EDISON
b)Columbiana - YES
c)Mercer - YES
d)Rembrandt? - CARIBBEAN STAR
e)Helen Edge? - CORNELIUS
f)Wilma - YES
g)Mrs. Snyder Disraeli - EXETER
h)Oak Leaf Superba - UNKNOWN FROM MIKE?
i)on left, ? Cutler's Giant, on right, Magnificent - YES & A MESS O' OTHER CROTONS
j)Coppinger's Hybrid (Cutler's Gulfstream) - INCA

2-
a)Edwin T. Meredith - YES
b)?Kiss and Tell - NORMAN ROCKWELL
c)Prince of Orange - CHIEF
d)Lt. Paget - YES
e)Nervia (AFD #9) - YES
f)Her Highness -YES
g)Caribbean Star - THOMAS EDISON
h)Interesting plant with some tortoise shell characteristics, but wrong coloration. Dunno - BARON ROTHSCHILD
i)Raphael - YES
j)Dunno - WOOTONS BEAUTY

3-
a)?General MacArthur - HYBRID FROM CHRIS (POCOMO)
b)Corot - YES
c)Majesticum - YES
d)Eleanor Fischler - YES
e)Robert Halgrim -YES
f)Her Highness - YES
g)? - CHILI PAN
h)Thea - RAPHAEL

Alright, Randy, you can beat me up now so I can get the names for everyone.:eek:

Not bad for a start Ana:) That's quite an improvement, but.……..Stay tuned for Round #2

Well, I guess I should be happy with improvement. Those were tough for me. Although I had the Thomas Edison and changed it at the last minute because of the wide midrib in the flush. Now I see I shouldn't have- it made me miss two. The last Raphael was silly too. I just knew you probably had a Thea in there somewhere.:)

Alright, it's a new day, but no more. Someone else take a turn or give us the names outright- my kids are home and too much I want to do!

a)Probably Geisha Girl, but might be Norwood Beauty. Too little of plant or scale to make a good guess.
b)?Royal Flush- you know I have it in the brain
c)Bimbo
d)Mosaic- again, too little of plant shown
e)?
f)Freckles
g)Glen Roof
h)Joe Friday
i)Chief
j)Mrs. Snyder Disraeli, maybe Goldfinger and others

Great pics Randy.My guess for D is Davis 87 and for F I am am guessing Tan Wee Kiat.

Alright, it's a new day, but no more. Someone else take a turn or give us the names outright- my kids are home and too much I

Great pics Randy.My guess for D is Davis 87 and for F I am am guessing Tan Wee Kiat.

a)Probably Geisha Girl, but might be Norwood Beauty. Too little of plant or scale to make a good guess.
b)?Royal Flush- you know I have it in the brain
c)Bimbo
d)Mosaic- again, too little of plant shown
e)?
f)Freckles
g)Glen Roof
h)Joe Friday
i)Chief

Alright, it's a new day, but no more. Someone else take a turn or give us the names outright- my kids are home and too much I want to do!

a)Probably Geisha Girl, but might be Norwood Beauty. Too little of plant or scale to make a good guess. -I DON'T KNOW, I'LL POST MORE PICS, BUT PROBABLY NORWOOD
b)?Royal Flush- you know I have it in the brain -I DON'T KNOW, ALTHOUGH MIGHT BE ROYAL FLUSH. FOUND IN FT LAUDERDALE
c)Bimbo -YUP
d)Mosaic- again, too little of plant shown _DAVIS #87
e)? - I GOT THIS AT A CROTON GET TOGETHER, BUT UNKNOWN TO ME
f)Freckles - TAN WE KIAT
g)Glen Roof -YES
h)Joe Friday -CORRECT
i)Chief - WATERFALL, BUT CLOSE
-YUP

Nice going Ana. These were all not that easy!:p
These were tough & Mike got 2 more.

-YUP

Nice going Ana. These were all not that easy!:p
These were tough & Mike got 2 more.

Randy - there has been some discussion that Hot & Steamy and Waterfall are the same cultivar. I am from the camp that they are distinct. Waterfall is slower, has larger leaves and even more pink coloration. At least that has been my experience.

Do you have Hot & Steamy? What are your observations relative to the above mentioned characteristics? They would be confusing unless you were growing both cultivars IMO.

Randy - there has been some discussion that Hot & Steamy and Waterfall are the same cultivar. I am from the camp that they are distinct. Waterfall is slower, has larger leaves and even more pink coloration. At least that has been my experience.

Do you have Hot & Steamy? What are your observations relative to the above mentioned characteristics? They would be confusing unless you were growing both cultivars IMO.

I've found the opposite :confused: My Hot & Steamy is way slower & pinker than my Waterfall.
DSC_0014.jpgDSC_0006.jpg Photos from this morning Waterfall left & Hot n Steamy on rt. :cool: Mmmmmmm:roll eyes:

Side by side there isn't much difference. Could they be the same? Mine have different lighting conditions.

Waterfall.JPG

I agree Randy - it must be lighting conditions. I know that you are diligent like myself keeping up on your crotons nutritional requirement. I have to admit that the Waterfall has been accelerating its growth habit. Still by no means fast but much faster then a couple of years ago. Here is an updated photo from Saturday, August 9, 2014 and looking distinct from Hot & Steamy in my opinion.