Never looked Better

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Planted in November 2009, this Yellow Petra has suffered from cold winds, scale attack and too much sun. I realized today this is the best it has looked since I got it. :)

I will spot a Yellow Petra around town from time to time but not extremely common like its colored version. ;)

Attachments

• Yellow Petra3.jpg
    Yellow Petra3.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Yellow Petra.jpg
    Yellow Petra.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Yellow Petra2.jpg
    Yellow Petra2.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 81
Very,very nice.I have a big one but you are right ,it is not seen around too much anymore.I cant remember the last time I saw one for sale.

Here is another croton that has never looked better for me. Planted in May of 2009. It was sold to me as Red Banana. A pretty slow cultivar, about as slow as a Black Beauty. :)

Attachments

• Red Banana.jpg
    Red Banana.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Red Banana (2).jpg
    Red Banana (2).jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Red Banana (3).jpg
    Red Banana (3).jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 83
While visiting the Bullwinkle Ranch Estate today, I was blown away by this beautiful monster size Yellow Petra. Bullwinkle is 6'1" + for scale. That is one Big Mamma Petra !!! :cool:

Mike Harris was along and insisted that the Moose get into the act. Kind of a mini moose herd. I bet twenty air layers later it would still be a biggin. :rolleyes: I wonder if TreeZoo Jerry recognizes my apparel? :p [photo credit: Mike Harris].

Very,very nice.I have a big one but you are right ,it is not seen around too much anymore.I cant remember the last time I saw one for sale.

Attachments

• Yellow Petra w Bullwinkle.jpg
    Yellow Petra w Bullwinkle.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Yellow Petra w Bullwinkle (2).jpg
    Yellow Petra w Bullwinkle (2).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 111
I bought my first one from Marie at least 10 years ago. It's planted right up against a Tipuana, which sucks the life out of the soil, so the Caribbean Star has always looked nasty. It's also on the northwest corner of the garden so the winter beat it almost to death. But Randy found a gang of them planted in an easily accessible area, which shall remain nameless, and we started a bunch of them as fully-leaved cuttings this summer. I put a couple of them in the ground in a similar environment to the ones he found; should look good in a few years.

Commotion :)

Photos taken last Thursday morning.

An air layer of this plant has already been promised in the Spring. ;)

Attachments

• Commotion 2.jpg
    Commotion 2.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Commotion 3.jpg
    Commotion 3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Commotion 4.jpg
    Commotion 4.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 80
Red Foot :cool:

Pictures were taken Thurday morning.

An air layer from Red Foot also has been promised for the Spring. :p

Attachments

• Red Foot.jpg
    Red Foot.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Red Foot 2.jpg
    Red Foot 2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Red Foot 3.jpg
    Red Foot 3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 83
What I have as Reubens ? Does not have wide blotched area along midrib of leaf like seen on page 22 of Crotons of the World. :confused:

Attachments

• Reubens + 2.jpg
    Reubens + 2.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Reubens +.jpg
    Reubens +.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Reubens +3.jpg
    Reubens +3.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 96
I have seen two supposed Rubens and they did not look like yours.They had a ton of pink in them.The leaf shape was similar??

Ron's plant came via from me. It was described a few years ago from Bob Alonzo, but maybe at the time he thought the pinks would come out later on it, which it has never done. I'm not really calling Rubens anymore, if there's no pink, I think it would be unfair to do so.

This is what I have as Ruebens. Some of the older leaves are kinda pinkish. It looks like the other pics posted in this thread.

Attachments

• DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 74
Here is another that never looked as good as so many I have seen posted. Three years in the ground. Trimmed some palm fronds and let it have more sun exposure, viola! :eek:

President Reagan

Attachments

• President Reagan.JPG
    President Reagan.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 74
Ok here's the skinny.

Randy and Ron, the plant you have labeled as Rubens (post #17 and #20 of this thread) is really Rembrandt (smaller and narrower semi oak with a wide, orange midrib). Phil, you have one against the northern edge of your pool cage. Jeff has a big group of plants in shade along the southern edge of the garden. By the way, it's Rubens (the painter) not Reubens (the sandwich).

The plant we've been calling Rembrandt is really Norman Rockwell (a much bigger semi oak with some beautiful shades of pink). See Randy's post #12 in the link below.
http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?2999-Series-3....Mr-Aubrey-Christian

The plant Randy has labeled Norman Rockwell (post # 7 in the following link - big, mainly orange semi-oak) is an unknown hybrid.
http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?2999-Series-3....Mr-Aubrey-Christian

Rick Leitner (TikiRick) and Cookie Graff are the only two people I'm aware of with the real Rubens. The leaf shape and size is nearly identical to Rembrandt but has much more pink (i.e. think Claude Lorraine and Raphael) than orange. Here's a photo Rick posted last year (last photo in post #1).
http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?3034-Some-goodies-from-my-collection

Bob Alonzo showed me the differences between a visit to my garden a few years ago and the Christmas meeting at the Glocks back in December 2010. Jim and Judy have a beautiful Norman Rockwell on Cudjoe. Now that I've screwed everyone up, do NOT shoot the messenger.

Some pics to add to the confusion:
First two are of the one called Rembrandt by the north side of pool cage.
Next two are of one labeled Raphael from a Searle sale
Next two are of one labelled Ruben from Moose
Last one is of a plant labelled Rembrandt in high light

Now the preview has the pics out of numerical order, so let me see what the final post looks like then we can try and label stuff again.

Attachments

• DSCN3927.jpg
    DSCN3927.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3928.jpg
    DSCN3928.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN3929.jpg
    DSCN3929.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN3930.jpg
    DSCN3930.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3931.jpg
    DSCN3931.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3932.jpg
    DSCN3932.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN3933.jpg
    DSCN3933.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 65
Just as expected, AFU.
Top row L to R: Raphael (Searle), Rembrandt, Rembrandt (N. side of pool, both)
Middle row: Raphael (searle), Ruben (Moose)
Bottom row: Ruben (Moose), Rembrandt in high light (cannot recognize writing on tag)

Onward through the fog...

Phil, I always scratched my head when you pointed out your Rapheal from Jeff. This is an older picture of what I have as Rapheal.

Attachments

• raphael.jpg
    raphael.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 61
Diane always stealing the show with her giant leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_8725.jpg
    IMG_8725.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8726.jpg
    IMG_8726.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8723.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 84