Need to Thin the Herd

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
As you could tell from the Been Busy thread, a concerted effort was made to get many of my containerized crotons in the ground. http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/been-busy.5015/

Progress was made but unfortunately I still have these to go ...

DSCN3228.JPG

Spent some time clearing out space to plant. Laid out a 7 to see how they would look. At least this is making me give attention so my areas that have been ignored or projects put off way too long. Need to start a Been Busy Part II thread.

I have found this winter sun inKey west is a great time to play musical plants in the pot... to see where would be good spaces for light requirements, so may be asking a few question on who likes jus what light for best qualities of color .....and gitting some whopper sized leaves... ie, Lt pagent.. great color, huge leaf.
Have been on this double corner lot since 87 (key west since 78) .... but I really atuned to the lights rotation through the upper limbs..... so I find it a great fun, and a challenge as well... Really organic due to my owh horticultural upringing... (BSA in Horticulture... from UGA greenhouse mgt / floriculture)
But this is a great time a year,,,, coool and dry air..... yipppeeeee) ♡♥♡♥♡♥ Mark

Mark I know what you mean about chasing the sun. The photo was done after I went through all those plants, seeing which needed mineral supplements or freshening of the potting medium. The majority of these plants were located in the north end of the yard in some pretty dense shade since the sun has shifted to the southern hemisphere. They got moved here since they catch a bit of morning and early afternoon sun that trickles through the canopy.

Moose.... isn't that a great lookin cabadae to the left of your seedlings? THE CATBIRDS, AND A PAIR OF WHITE CROWN PIGEONS JUST LOVE TO EAT THE FRUIT. Then they hehhehehehe..discreetly broadcast the seed from various branches around the yard..... also, with the (is it..? ) dypsis sanderiana?????? The very narrow cained clumping palm........ They always beat me to the seed......lol but hey, they seem to do a darn good job...

Moose.... isn't that a great lookin cabadae to the left of your seedlings? THE CATBIRDS, AND A PAIR OF WHITE CROWN PIGEONS JUST LOVE TO EAT THE FRUIT. Then they hehhehehehe..discreetly broadcast the seed from various branches around the yard..... also, with the (is it..? ) dypsis sanderiana?????? The very narrow cained clumping palm........ They always beat me to the seed......lol but hey, they seem to do a darn good job...

Good eye Mark - yes it is. I got that at the South Florida Palm Society Sale at Fairchild in the Fall of 1994. Back then this was an uncommon palm only found in collector's gardens. All material in cultivation is believed to have originated from Dr. Cabadae's garden in Cienfuegos, Cuba. It was understood it was a Dypsis but could not located in wild in Madagascar. As time passed it became more prominent in many South Florida gardens, while the original habitat location remained unknown. Now it is believed to have originated from Comoros Islands, off the coast of Madagascar.

mcomoros.gif

This was a single stem palm in a one gallon container when it was planted. They are not a heavy clustering palm like many believe. For some reason the nurseries multi plant their containers, probably because that is what sells. I prefer to let a palm grow the "natural" way. A couple of the stems are 30 ft now. It keeps the green trunk even at that size, but this is a fairly shaded palm now.

Due to its height, I don't harvest the seed any longer. Glad something or things are dining on them or there would be seedlings all around the base of the palm.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_cabadae

Thanx for your comment, I've got a ton of them thx to the hungry bird parent needin to feed their fledgling
s..... respectfully yours mark......... jus another croton head.... mtw

I know it naturall clumps whatched it start on some free range cabadas, and nave divided suckers(wrong term...) ( but you know what I'm meaning.)