1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Need I.D. Help part 5

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Sep 13, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Another shameful I.D. :eek: request for these two. I really love the first one, it seems unusual. The second one has small leaves and I believe may be a common variety.

Croton fetus, Ron. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

King of Siam is the curly leaf. Hard to tell by the photo as to the size of the leaf, but the other one looks like Mammay.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I don't think it is Mammay because of small stature. The leaves are about three inches, it looks very simular to the Batik. Growing at a municipal building so I don't think they are getting much attention other than mulch occasionally. These are are growing in full sun. Does that help any?

4. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Ron, I think it is batik, the samller one that is. Just different cause its in sun.

5. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Well, with leaves that small, it's Batik. However, there is a variety that's called Tom Thumb which was also sold as "Dwarf Mammay" that has more red than orange and yellow.

6. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

If spot size is a distinguishing factor, that first plant is Wizard of Oz. There is a cultivar out there with the same leaf shape and smaller, more profuse spotting. Whether the spotting is a different cultivar or a result of different light conditions is still up for debate.

7. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Ray,

This looks like King of Siam all the way. I would sure like to see this other cultivar that looks alot like this one. Because I've never seen another croton that even looks remotely close. Maybe the Queen of Siam, but this has the red in it.

Jeff

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

9. Crazy for Crotons

The one in the photo looks pink to me. Red is the King for sure.

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Definitely pink. I took the picture at 11:00 am right after church. Sun has not even started filtering on it yet. :(

Ron. :)

11. Jeff Searle

Maybe some misunderstanding from my reply above. I was saying that the Queen has red, where as this plant in question( yellows and pink) is the King.

12. Crazy for Crotons

Jeff,

I've always heard the Queen was pink and the King was red. Now I'm more confused than before.

Ray

13. Jeff Searle

Ray,

I don't have the book in front of me, but both varieties are on the same page. Look it up and see what you think. I have both the King and Queen in the yard. Their very different. The queen actually came from Dr Brown a few years ago. And it grows alot slower for me than the King.

Jeff

14. Crazy for Crotons

Jeff,

I think it was Johnny Shelton that told me the two photo names were reversed in the book. Do you have a copy of his book corrections? I may have it as a MS Word file at home if you'd like a copy.

Ray

15. Jeff Searle

Ray,

That's pretty interesting. If Johnny told you this, that's new to me. Because for as long as I've been growing crotons, the "Queen" has always been the one with the red in it. The one you don't see around very much. And......my Queen(with red) was the one I bought from Dr Brown.

Anyways, I will find out for sure very soon. Bob Alonzo is coming over for the day to spend all (lol!) day at the nursery and then my house to go over every plant in my collection.I can certainly clear this up with him, as I have both plants planted near each other. I'm doing this in preparation prior to my sale.

Jeff

16. Crazy for Crotons

Jeff,

Great news about Bob. Please let us know what he says because I'm as confused as can be.

Ray

17. Jeff Searle

And I have been scratching my head as well all day today!

Jeff

18. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ray - I would love to have a copy of the corrections to leave in my book for reference. :cool:

Ron. :)

19. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Ray,
    I'd love to have a copy of the corrections too. I had heard the same thing about the King and the Queen but it would be nice to have all of the corrections. Thanks,
    Marie

20. Crazy for Crotons

I'll scan it and see how it looks attached here. Or perhaps, Dean has a better way?

If that doesn't work, I'll need your e-mail Ron. I have your e-mail Marie.