Need I.D. Help part 5

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Another shameful I.D. :eek: request for these two. I really love the first one, it seems unusual. The second one has small leaves and I believe may be a common variety.

Croton fetus, Ron. :confused:

Attachments

• Croton #8.jpg
    Croton #8.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Croton #8b.jpg
    Croton #8b.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Croton #10.jpg
    Croton #10.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Croton #10b.jpg
    Croton #10b.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 196
I don't think it is Mammay because of small stature. The leaves are about three inches, it looks very simular to the Batik. Growing at a municipal building so I don't think they are getting much attention other than mulch occasionally. These are are growing in full sun. Does that help any?

Well, with leaves that small, it's Batik. However, there is a variety that's called Tom Thumb which was also sold as "Dwarf Mammay" that has more red than orange and yellow.

If spot size is a distinguishing factor, that first plant is Wizard of Oz. There is a cultivar out there with the same leaf shape and smaller, more profuse spotting. Whether the spotting is a different cultivar or a result of different light conditions is still up for debate.

Ray,

This looks like King of Siam all the way. I would sure like to see this other cultivar that looks alot like this one. Because I've never seen another croton that even looks remotely close. Maybe the Queen of Siam, but this has the red in it.

Jeff

Jeff,

I've always heard the Queen was pink and the King was red. Now I'm more confused than before.

Ray

Ray,

I don't have the book in front of me, but both varieties are on the same page. Look it up and see what you think. I have both the King and Queen in the yard. Their very different. The queen actually came from Dr Brown a few years ago. And it grows alot slower for me than the King.

Jeff

Jeff,

I think it was Johnny Shelton that told me the two photo names were reversed in the book. Do you have a copy of his book corrections? I may have it as a MS Word file at home if you'd like a copy.

Ray

Jeff,

I think it was Johnny Shelton that told me the two photo names were reversed in the book. Do you have a copy of his book corrections? I may have it as a MS Word file at home if you'd like a copy.

Ray

Ray,

That's pretty interesting. If Johnny told you this, that's new to me. Because for as long as I've been growing crotons, the "Queen" has always been the one with the red in it. The one you don't see around very much. And......my Queen(with red) was the one I bought from Dr Brown.

Anyways, I will find out for sure very soon. Bob Alonzo is coming over for the day to spend all (lol!) day at the nursery and then my house to go over every plant in my collection.I can certainly clear this up with him, as I have both plants planted near each other. I'm doing this in preparation prior to my sale.

Jeff

Ray,
I'd love to have a copy of the corrections too. I had heard the same thing about the King and the Queen but it would be nice to have all of the corrections. Thanks,
Marie