Need Help With Leaf Shapes

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
I have begun to make pages for the photos that "Fawnridge" uploaded recently. Since I am unfamiliar with the leaf shapes, I have make a section for you guys to easily place them into the proper location in the Croton Gallery. IT IS VERY EASY. If you know your leaf shapes, please give it a try.

Go HERE and you will see some simple instructions along with links to the new pages. Don't be afraid. You can't mess anything up. I can easily fix anything.

Well, I see two of you gave it a try and almost got it. :)

Both of you got the basics down, but missed a very important part of the equation. When changing the "TBC" to "OAK LEAF" or "BROAD LEAF," it must be all capital letters. The Categories were created in all caps, so to get to the right place they must be 'tagged' using all caps. I made the changes, so they have been taken care of.

I'll get the rest of "Fawnridge's" photos prepared for your tagging right now. Give it another try.

For those of you who don't understand what I just wrote, click on the link above to get to the 'TBC' page.

Okay, I cleared the TBC category. Not sure if everyone will agree with where I put them, so feel free to make changes.

For example - Where does Wizard of Oz go? It's a narrow, spiral leaf (to a point). Or Yellow Excurrens - a small, often spiral leaf. Piecrust has a unique margin and I have leaves that are only 2 or 3 inches and several that are almost a foot. Is it small, narrow, spiral? What about Ovalifolium, is that recurved or is that a category reserved for Rams Horn?

Rob - I was told they were two different varieties by the chap who sold me this one as Wizard of Oz. However, it may be the same situation as Satan and Irene Kingsley or dozens of other varieties that claim to be different. I grow Van Buren and have been for years. In the sun it gets more pink, in the shade more yellow. I've had collectors tell me they are two different varieties. If Wiz and King are the same one and King is the correct name, then let's get it corrected. Hey, it wasn't too long ago that I was calling Eleanor Roosevelt "Sloppy Painter".

I think we also need to have names correct!

Now, I am no expert yet; but that "Wizard of Oz" is a King of Siam!!!

Rob

Rob,

I totally agree!! Ricky, Wizard of Oz, is an invalid name for King of Siam. For some God unknown reason, Kurt Decker decided upon renaming this croton for his own self gratification many years ago and this has caused lots of confussion. There's only one "King of Siam".

And while were talking about a local nurserman renaming crotons for his own glory, there is only ONE Eleanor Roosevelt. It is NOT "Sloppy Painter". Eleanor Roosevelt is one of the most well known of the older croton varieties.

Jeff

Ricky,
I know, it is extremely tough to keep track of names, and when you buy a plant from someone, unless you KNOW the variety you are buying, you just have to take their word that its what they are calling it!

I think another one we need to change is "Tom Thumb" looks like Batik to me?

Rob

Batik has much more orange, much brighter. I bought several dozen of these, years ago, from a nursery in Boynton Beach who was calling it a "Dwarf Mammay". I think Ray told me it was Tom Thumb.

Wizard of Oz renamed King of Siam

i'm glad you guys are getting the hang of it. :)

FYI - Fawnridge already figured it out - but to change a name - use the "Move" tab. It's self explanatory.

Since it appears that names and leaf shapes will never be completely resolved and agreed on, let me propose and remind you of the following.

Re: Leaf Shapes --- It is possible to place two category tags on each page. That way a particular variety can be in the NARROW LEAF and SPIRAL LEAF index concurrently, for example.

Re: Names, and other discrepancies --- Discussions, or info about a disagreement or disrepancy, can be ( and maybe should be) included on the variety page if warranted, along with obvious useful info such as size, preferred exposure, history, etc. If a variety appears to have two generally accepted names, that info could be explained on the page. Or if it is constantly referred to incorrectly or misidentified regularly, this could be included, along with an explanation as to why it is commonly misidentified, and what makes it "this" variety, and not "that" variety. It would be very useful to newbies like me to have that info right on the relevant page.

Crossandra??? That looks like Arrowhead to me. A consensus needs to be reached before we flood the ID area with incorrect names. Let's rethink how we're going to handle this Dean.

BTW, how can the large photo ID (large black font) be changed?

Crossandra was the name given to me with the cutting. I just looked at Arrowhead in the book and I have to agree. I've moved Crossandra to Arrowhead. There's also an Unknown Ricky1 in the SMALL LEAF category. Thanks.

BTW, how can the large photo ID (large black font) be changed?

If I understand you correctly - just use the "move" tab to change the name of the page, which is the name of the Croton. Then change the caption in the Image Tag as well. But you guys need to determine who is going to be the final arbiter of names. It looks to me like there is going to be a fair amount of doubt from time to time. But it is easy to change and move things around, so it's not a major problem if something is initially incorrect.

I have talked with Lee a little about this. So I expect some strategy to materialize soon.