My unknowns....again

annafl

Esteemed Member
:p. These two unknowns I have are my favorites. It has been suggested that the first one could be Ellen Rutherford? Any others agree with this or any other suggestions? Here are my two plants. The first photo shows the reddest this plant has ever looked. Usually deep pink, like in the second one is the main color. This plant usually has a lot of orange especially in the spring. The green turns to yellow, turns to orange and then to pink. I love this plant and would love to know what it is. Something so pretty probably has a name on it.

The second plant is the one I thought could be like Phil's Cranberry, but I'm not sure and I don't know if Phil agrees. Phil? Any other suggestions are welcome:D. It has very long side lobes Krukonis-like. Nice pinks, small, compact plant which is slow-to-moderate grower and doesn't split easily.
Unk.-Ana.JPG
Unknown-Ana.jpg
Unk-Bowers.JPG

Really nice Anna, do you knowwhere or when you got the first plant? I am sure I have it also will look tomorrow.

Thanks, Lamar. Yes, I remember exactly. Mark Peters is the only one that sold crotons in plant sales up here. I called him almost two years ago now, and asked him if he had a Gloriosa he would sell me at the upcoming local plant sale. He said he'd bring one. This plant was small and blacked out but I bought it on the hope I could improve it. It is such a grateful thing. After a little care and sunlight it put out a flush of completely orange leaves. I posted it at that time. Since then it has only gotten more beautiful. It's obviously not a Gloriosa, as it is a semi-oak and Gloriosa is a broad leaf. Ron gave me a Gloriosa around that time:D and it's planted close to this plant. It is not Gloriosa. Initially I thought it was a Royal Flush, but after getting two of those, I was convinced it wasn't. Ellen Rutherford was suggested. I've only seen one of those, but it was red, this plant is mostly pink, and gets quite a bit of orange periodically. No-questions-asked-orange. So, I don't know. I keep hoping someone will know.

I spent the last two hours looking but I do not have that one. It looks like a member of the Rutherford family.
image.jpg

Thanks, Lamar. Yes, I remember exactly. Mark Peters is the only one that sold crotons in plant sales up here. I called him almost two years ago now, and asked him if he had a Gloriosa he would sell me at the upcoming local plant sale. He said he'd bring one. This plant was small and blacked out but I bought it on the hope I could improve it. It is such a grateful thing. After a little care and sunlight it put out a flush of completely orange leaves. I posted it at that time. Since then it has only gotten more beautiful. It's obviously not a Gloriosa, as it is a semi-oak and Gloriosa is a broad leaf. Ron gave me a Gloriosa around that time:D and it's planted close to this plant. It is not Gloriosa. Initially I thought it was a Royal Flush, but after getting two of those, I was convinced it wasn't. Ellen Rutherford was suggested. I've only seen one of those, but it was red, this plant is mostly pink, and gets quite a bit of orange periodically. No-questions-asked-orange. So, I don't know. I keep hoping someone will know.

Ana - are you saying that the one I gave you is not Gloriosa ? :eek: That came from a very old plant at an even older home in Coral Gables. The home got demolished and the mother plant bulldozed. :(

Randy, I've promised an air layer to Mike this spring. The next one will be yours, but it may be a little while. Either late in the year or the following spring? Is that ok?

Ron, I guess I wrote it wrong. I can see where it was misunderstood. Your plant is very much a beautiful Gloriosa. It has done great. What I meant to get across is that when I saw yours close to it, I realized my unknown is not a Gloriosa. It is too late to edit it. Sorry.

Does anyone have an Ellen Rutherford they can post? Please? Randy will you show yours too? I just want to convince myself that's what it is. I'd love to put a name on this one and be done with it. Then I can move on to other unknowns I have:rolleyes:.