Mulch, Mulch, Mulch

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Now that winter is heading our way, it is now time to heavily mulch if you have not already done so. During a cold front, radiant heat from the mulch could bring up the temperature 1- 2 degress F. Most importantly it helps insulate the roots and keep them warmer. We have witnessed so croton cultivars that were freeze burnt to the ground that made a come back because they were heavily mulched. Their roots and enough of a below ground stem survived that it could regenerate.

Yes, the Glocks are heavily mulching with the holiday social upcoming. They would have mulched anyways, they know its benefits.

Ron,

I use pine needles now. It looks a little more natural, inhibits weed development, better for the environment, lasts longer, doesn't get carried off when water puddles and did I mention its cheaper.

Ray

Ray, I thought about using pine needles too but I worried about it forming such a mat that it may hinder water from reaching the plant. My yard also cooks during the summer & wonder if those needles would be a fire hazard. Are they hard to dig through?

Bren,

A pile of pine needles is porous and all the landscapes being installed around here seem to be moving towards this. Your plants will get watered without a problem. I've never heard about any issues about the needles being a fire hazard. You water so those needles will be moist unlike native pineland where they get wet only when it rains.

Ray

Bren,

A pile of pine needles is porous and all the landscapes being installed around here seem to be moving towards this. Your plants will get watered without a problem. I've never heard about any issues about the needles being a fire hazard. You water so those needles will be moist unlike native pineland where they get wet only when it rains.

Ray

As the pine needles break down, they have an acid reaction to the soil like oak leaves. Croton love that. :cool: