More 4th of July Sparkle

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
The 4th of July Sparkle thread is getting long so I'm starting another thread. All photos were taken 4th of July morning.

Caribbean Star.JPG

An overly shaded Caribbean Star. There is a Pritchardia thurstonia palm that has really started cranking that keeps this croton too shaded to look its best. Keep trimming the palm to allow more sun light to hit its leaves.

Playboy.JPG

This was a rooted cutting from Keith Hanks several years ago. It was repotted many times until it reached a 10 gallon size. Finally it got planted, a massive hole was created to it would continue cranking. That did not happen, it sat and did very little until recently. It could have diverted all its energies developing a big root system. Playboy

Nancy Reagan.JPG

This croton from Marie Nock has been one of my more difficult cultivars. Very slow and finicky, I think I may have finally got the right soil mix and fertilizer schedule down. This is the most robust it has ever looked, Nancy Reagan.

Unk Ralph Davis.JPG

There is no name for this cultivar that I am aware of. It is kinda slow. Came from Chris Mayhew who harvested a cutting at the Ralph Davis Estate a long time ago.

Ron, Great photos! I would also like to commend you for adding the light conditions you have the plant growing in. We all know that the light conditions can make some crotons look as different as night and day. I hope someday that the Wiki pages can have the info added for the croton photos as to what light condition the plant is growing in.

Ron, Great photos! I would also like to commend you for adding the light conditions you have the plant growing in. We all know that the light conditions can make some crotons look as different as night and day. I hope someday that the Wiki pages can have the info added for the croton photos as to what light condition the plant is growing in.

Scott - not sure if light conditions should be added to the Wiki. Different conditions are found in different gardens. What may be considered heavy light exposure in one garden may not be the same in another. That is why I like to visit gardens, to see what light exposure is working the best. This would include looking at the canopy and extrapolating what sun exposure the plant is getting at other times during the day.

Blotched William Jennings Bryan.JPG

Here is an example. Blotched William Jennings Bryan from Marie Nock. It was getting morning sun until mid afternoon - which was proving too much. Was happy in its location until the day light times extended. Moved to a new location where the afternoon sun is a bit more tempered and viola, nice flushing of new leaves in just a couple of weeks.

Shady Lane.JPG

A Shady Lane from Marie Nock. The coloring pattern does not look much like a Shady Lane right now. Fertilized last month, very warm temperatures and lots of moisture caused it to explode.

Reubens.JPG

Got this as the "true" Reubens from Jose. This thing it simply exploding. Can't wait until its colors start maturing towards pink. Can't take photos of the old leaves, they are completely overwhelmed by the newly flushing leaves.

Caribbean Star.JPG

This is Caribbean Star that came from Frank Brown's garden. Its job it to look good while guarding my back yard spigot and hose. I love it that the hose as been coiled up for weeks, no need for it with all the rain. :p

Embassy 2.JPG
Embassy.JPG

Embassy from Marie Nock. As the sun made its trek towards the northern hemisphere, this plant was getting hit by a lot of sun and the colors were getting washed out. Fortunately all the rains have spurred on new growth.

Showgirl.JPG

Showgirl from Jeff Searle. When acquired it was tagged Rheedii #3, the name has since been amended. Over time as this cultivar gets established it produces some very large leaves.

Unk Frank Brown.JPG

Another Unknown from frank Brown's garden. Some have ID'd this croton as a Caribbean Star, which I am not 100% convinced. It does not have the vigor of my other Caribbean Stars in the yard. It seems to curve back on itself and often flushes heavily blotched or mostly yellow leaves. It does get more sun exposure than the others.

Diane.JPG

Diane with Monster leaves. It takes awhile for the big leaves to happen, plant needs to get established. I took an air layer last fall and the two shoots that are developing are a couple of years away from making biggins. This Diane originated from Jeff Searle.

General Marshall.JPG

General Marshall. The best specimen I've seen of this cultivar is the one Jeff Searle has growing behind his seed house. Its simply amazing. Next time your at his nursery, ask to take a look at it.

Moose, a very colorful pictorial. I especially enjoyed the brief but important description and notes re: sun exposure of the individual Crotons with their names attached where possible…thanks for posting.