Moose's "Grandma" identified

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Jun 8, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

At the top of the picture, in the ground, is the plant given to me by Moose called "Grandma". Below it, in a pot, is "Clipper" from Randy, a positive ID that also matches the picture in The Book on page 90.

Attached Files:

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Wow,they do look exctly the same.I have a Clipper that looks a little different but different light =different plant.

3. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Great, now I potentially have 3 clippers and they all look different

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Bren - I have Clipper as well. I made quite a few Grandma air layers before the mother plant was moved. They were grown in different lighting conditions, none resembled the Clipper in my opinion. Bren - you got one of the largest air layers. Don't go changing your tag just yet. :confused:

There are some Grandmas distributed on the West Coast. It would be great if Bob Alonso could get a looksee at one. ;)

5. junglegal

I will say, it's been a robust grower not unlike my other clippers. I will try and takes some updated pics of all of mine if these monsoon conditions ever stop

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I think it looks identical to the other in the picture.

7. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced either. Toby has a real Clipper and it doesn't look like the plants above. Clipper has more subtle lobes and the veining is different. Hopefully he'll see this and post a photo. I have an air layer from his plant but the color isn't great on mine.

8. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Here's my "Grandma" grown from the stick that Moose sent me :D
    Photo taken yesterday.

Attached Files:

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dang - Grandma sure is looking sweet and Ann Rutherfordish ? Peyton! I see a Black Beauty tucked to the right. :cool:

Looks like Ricky has reopened the Grandma question. :confused:

Attached Files:

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I agree with Jeff,the two plants look identical.Is Randy's plant Clipper??

11. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I agree the two plants above look alike.

Now you're talkin'.

12. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Thanks Ron, I really like ol' Grandma...
    And good eye on the Black Beauty - it's growing a lot faster than I thought it would, fixing to go outside soon...

13. fawnridge

Does anyone have a Clipper that we can compare this one to? Based on the one Ann Rutherford I've seen and the two photos in the book, this doesn't look anything like it. Randy - who identified your Clipper?

14. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

My Clipper came from Jeff, a few years ago, complete with a purple #57 name tag:rolleyes: It looks like other Clippers I've seen. Mine gets full afternoon sun. I have some big air layers on it & am gonna plant one in the shade. Ricky, Are you sure it came from my Clipper? I have to better label the stuff going in the mist bed.

Attached Files:

15. fawnridge

Okay, my bad. This is Clipper. The plant in the photo that started this thread is still unknown (Grandma for now) but we now know it's not a seedling, rather an old named variety. Finding it in two locations, quite far apart, is proof of that.

It is not Suzi Silverado, as you can see from picture number 2. West facing, lots of water, deep orange, almost black color.

It is not either of the next two pictures either, and those are still unknown, but similar to Grandma.

Attached Files:

16. koki

koki Active Member

The photos in post #14 look like the Clipper that I have, originally from K. Deckers old place. It's not uncommon to see this one around the old neighborhoods in SW Florida. Even in shade, the Clippers I've seen are generally less colorful than the plant in the first post. I don't have my hands on a photo now but will try to post one next week.

17. junglegal

Here are my 3 inputs. First 2 were a mystery which most thought was clipper, 3rd bought from Searle and 4th Grandma

Attached Files: