MacAthurii not General MacArthur

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Jun 8, 2011.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I have no recollection of MacArthurii being discussed in any thread on this forum. It is seen on page 11 of A Codiaeum Encyclopedia Crotons of the World, by B. Frank Brown ED. D. :)

Is anyone growing this cultivar? :confused: Is it uncommon to rarely found in cultivation? :confused:

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I've never even seen this cultivar in person. I'd say it's rare as hens teeth.

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

And to find a good set of hens teeth would be nearly impossible.:) Probably like the cultivar MacArthurii. Never heard of any plants out there, and could be considered endangered if it even still does exist somewhere.

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Can it be? Not the best photos as the lens fogs over in the humid air upon me. IMG_0122.JPG pizap.com14348122952421.jpg pizap.com14348123985881.jpg

5. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I am pretty sure this is MacArthurii I am cutting it back trying to get it to color back up. I think I got it at a sale at U S F ,Phil might know or Ron Parlett(sp) could have been the source. image.jpg

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

More shots! The leaves are 4" x 1.5". pizap.com14348971900641.jpg pizap.com14348972834961.jpg pizap.com14348973757791.jpg

7. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

I see why it's considered rare. It's not much of a looker.

Kingdavid and Bullwinkle like this.
  8. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

It's a good thing that I did not post the photo of the whole plant. :eek: pizap.com14350002166921.jpg

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

BTW This is my project Croton this year. It was growing in a full shade location, moved to a full sun location in mid May. Maybe to much sun now, but I can always move it again if this location doesn't work. Time and a little TLC is needed.

Kingdavid likes this.