1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Lowes crotons

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Central Floridave, Sep 9, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

Lowes in Indian Harbor beach had these croton for sale: Red Batik, Picasso paintbrush, Zanzibar, dreadlocks, fantasy (looked like fishbone), along with the more common ones.

I was surprised to see Lowes supplying some rarer croton. I'm always zooming through nurseries and seeing what they have.

Someone in South Florida must be pushing these out for the big chain stores to get them.

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Lowes gets Dreadlocks every other year it seems. Picasso's Paintbrush are all coming from tissue culture, so they've really flooded the market with that one. And Zanzibar is in stock at many wholesale nurseries as an alternative to Petra and Mammay.

3. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Dave,
    You know the story behind the croton "Magnificent" being in the big chain stores? its quite an amazing one.
    These large farms like COSTA get a few cuttings of these plants, and grow massive fields of them in Costa Rica, then they will ship the rooted cuttings up here to Florida, grow them out a bit, and bam, in probably 4-5 years you have a croton so super rare turned into something as common as Petra!!!

Rob

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Check out www.foremostco.com for some named Croton stock cuttings. These may be showing up in the retail stores soon.

5. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I sure hope that the Exotico they have listed is Exotica. Can you imagine those being as common as Petra?!

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I don't care if is rare or common, the Exotica is beautiful (at least the picture in the book) and I would love to have one. Petra is a beautiful cultivar and I have 4 of them.