1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Lost in translation? - Fred Sanders

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by junglegal, Jul 15, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

In both the Reasoners catalog and the Christian paper, they list Mrs. Fred Sander.

Their description seems to fit what everyone calls Fred Sanders. Can anyone confirm these are two distinct plants? If they are one in the same, maybe we should get used to referring to the Mrs. and pronouncing their last name correctly. :confused:

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/MRS._FRED_SANDERS*

2. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Makes sense to me...

3. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's a typo. I've met a few Sanders in my life but never a Sander.

4. junglegal

Fair enough but what about the Mrs. Part?

5. Plant Nut

Plant Nut Active Member

Frank Brown, in his first book, states the correct name is Fred Sander. He goes on to say, the first description of this variety was in the " Gardener's Chronicle" (London) April 25, 1908.

6. junglegal

Thanks Plant Nut, so one has to wonder, where in the world the Mrs. came from in these 2 publications? If only old nurseymen could talk! Well, for now, I am at least dropping the 'S' in my conversations and writings LOL.

7. Crotonologist

8. junglegal

Peyton, excellent find. I downloaded the PDF. Loads of historical info. So, now we know. Sander is the correct name, named after Belgian growers Sander & Sons.

9. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Bob Alonzo told me that the plant was named Earl of Derby before it was Fred Sander(s). You knew there had to be a monkey wrench here right?! The Gardener's Chronicle could very well be the first description after its renaming.

10. Crotonologist

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I thought I would give this post a bump.

12. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Great find, Scott. So we know that it definitely was Fred Sander, named after the Belgian growers Sander and Son, who had many plants named after them. There seems to be no Mrs. We don't know about the Earl of Derby synonym. No mention of them being synonymous in any historical document that we've seen. Ray said Bob Alonzo thought Fred Sander was previously named Earl of Derby. Jeff thinks they are different plants.

Does anyone know Bob Alonzo well enough to call him and ask him what he knows about that? This has turned into quite the detective story and it would be nice to piece it all together and get rid of the false infos in several wiki spots. Thanks.