1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Leaves on Inflorescence

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Phil Stager, Jul 26, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

The attached photos illustrate several leaves emerging from the tip of an inflorescence. I've never noted anything quite like this before. Thoughts, ideas, comments.....

The plant is a common sport off a Yellow Excurrens. That's a 6 inch ruler for scale. The wierdness is in the UR near the 5" mark on the ruler on pic 1; in pic 2 it is on the left with four small leaves on it; pic 3 is closeup.

Attached Files:

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I had this happen on a Dreadlocks. The leaves never got much color and the inflorescence never got woody. Hey, they're Crotons.

3. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Wow Phil, if that isn't true genetic instability nothing is. Isn't this exactly why we love these plants?! The plant isn't even sure what it's doing.

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Phil,

That is a wierd occurance. I have to say, I've never seen this before on a croton myself. I wonder if there's a name describing this when it happens. Thanks for showing us.

Jeff

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Well, fast forward to today. I just saw it!:)