lawn service fertilizing plants?

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
We use Massey for our lawn. Looks fantastic. They are trying to upsell their full landscape fertilization package. Our lawn looks great but I always worry them spraying whole yard. They said their tanks hold a neutral type spray I imagine similar to a miracle grow. Do any of you let a similar service shoot all your plants? Eventually I want to go organic as possible but this yard is young & needs tons of organic materials & time to mature.

Be careful of any weed control in their mixture. It is a real root pruner and can zap color. I did it to my self.

Everything here gets an 8-0-12+4Mg - good for palms and everything else. Spreading 100 lbs or so only takes about an hour if that long. Save your $ and DIY ...and remember that high N lawn fert is going to create an even bigger K deficiency in the palms.

Bren, if you're going to go organic, there's no better time than the present. This is leaf-collecting season for us (Feb-Apr). The leaves neighbors rake, bag and put by the curbside, are gratefully collected by us and placed in our beds. Try to find a tree company you can get bulk chipped oak mulch from. There's nothing better than those two things to build your soil. It's very difficult to go organic and have a nice St. Augustine lawn (heaven knows we've tried and not been successful), but it's just a little back-breaking work to do the beds. The more leaves and chipped mulch you add, the less fertilizer you need. We alternate alfalfa pellets with soybean meal (from a feed store) for everything. Yes, it's stinky for about 5 days if it doesn't get covered, but is low in nitrogen and filled with other nutrients. Things grow slowly, but well, and is therefore less attractive to pests. Earthworms and other beneficials love this combo and will start working for you. This is all especially effective if you start with recycling cardboard and newspapers as a base to your beds.

We laid new sod after having new top soil brought in. This yard was a beach when we moved in last March. The sod will stay. It's a concession I've agreed to for my better half. Without it, our pool & our dogs were constantly full of sand & dirt. That said, it will shrink over time as I collect plants. Thanks everyone for the input!

City of St. Pete has several types of mulch available; free if you pick it up, otherwise a nominal $25 delivery charge for 5 cu.yds. I've been using anywhere from 2-4 loads per year except last summer when the U.A. Young cycad project took up a lot of time.

City of St. Pete has several types of mulch available; free if you pick it up, otherwise a nominal $25 delivery charge for 5 cu.yds. I've been using anywhere from 2-4 loads per year except last summer when the U.A. Young cycad project took up a lot of time.

(Sorry for the deviation, hijacking Bren's thread)

Hey Phil, bringing up the U.A. Young project at Kopsick Palm Arboretum, it jogged my memory of something I needed to ask you. The late Dick Douglas was a former IPS President (1982-1984) and former Floridian. He moved to San Francisco and his love of palms continued, he was a pioneer establishing which palms could be thrive in a temperate climate. In his garden he had a mutant form of Chamaerops humulis. This unique palm was even mentioned in Genera Palmarum (1987 edition) by Dr. John Dranfield. Dick Douglas' property was sold and the collection has pretty much not been touched, but it is in private hands and that could change overnight. Seeds were collected and plants propagated. There are a few of these palms available but they only want them to be distributed to public gardens for preservation purposes. Knowing your influence at Kopsick, would you be interested for the Arboretum ? One established it would need very little care.

Here is the link on Palm Talk. Start at post #48 and read down. Pictures of Dick's palm in his garden are also found at post #48.
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/833-most-un-palmlike-palm/page-2#entry686631

Good point, Ricky. I think most of us are moving toward smaller and smaller lawns. We've only got a small patch on one side of the house. Every year we make that smaller, but it will be harder to cut down any further at this point. This little patch is what drives us to put chinch bug pesticides down twice in the hot months. I hate that, but we do it.

Moose - plant is better yet. I'm getting too old for palm seeds - but have a younger volunteer who can handle them too. PM me on details so we don't clutter up board w/palmy stuff.

Moose - plant is better yet. I'm getting too old for palm seeds - but have a younger volunteer who can handle them too. PM me on details so we don't clutter up board w/palmy stuff.

Not too much croton action - at least something is getting posted.

Poor Ana hasn't even getting any material for the Wiki.
crying.gif