1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Last ID for now

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Bullwinkle, Nov 18, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Interesting plant ,It is obstructed so I could not get very good pics.The leaf is solid green on the front ,purple on the back with an interrupted leaf.Very slow growing around 5 ft tall

Attached Files:

2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Mother & Daughter - always green.

3. Bullwinkle

Thanks,I have another interrupted leaf croton but with mainly red and yellow colours.I was told that this was mother and daughter??I ill have to take some pics to get the real name of that one

4. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Mother and Daughter - never solid green, that's Appendiculatum (4th photo)
    1 - Mother and Daughter in deep shade and across from the mistbed, so it gets lots of water.
    2 - Mother and Daughter that gets late afternoon sun. Note the red spots on the one sport.
    3 - A sport from Mother and Daughter that I named Jonathon Schwartz after one of my radio favorites from back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Note the yellow and pink spots.
    4 - Appendiculatum - solid green interrupted leaf.

Attached Files:

5. Bullwinkle

Now what do I do ??Two senior members have given me two different answers??fawnridge does sound convincing.Thanks to both of you for answering.

6. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

If it is colorful, it is probably Victoria Gold Bell which has been in the trade for some years. Light conditions and the plant's own natural variations can dostrange things.

When it comes to naming crotons, remember the Buddha's last admonition to his followers: believe nothing on hearsay. Do not believfe ifn traditions becuase they are old, or on anything on the mere authroity of myself or any other teacher.

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is the colorful Victoria Gold Bell. This pic is from 7 wks ago. The colors are really outstanding now.

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      163.2 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      217.6 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      156.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

... or you could quote our own forum's resident philospher: "Onward through the fog" LOL :p