Large Banyan Trees

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by Dypsisdean, May 15, 2014.

1. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I was "stuck" in town yesterday, waiting for an appointment - so I took out the phone and took a few pics to share. There are two large Banyans in town, and the pics don't really give the feel as to how big they really are.
    IMG_1470PT.jpg IMG_1478PT.jpg
    In between them is the oldest Christian church in Hawaii. I think it is dated around the time of the Civil war, and framed by some nice Pritchardia.
    IMG_1474PT.jpg
    And across the street is just a scene looking down the coast. All these are "downtown" Kailua-Kona - what has to classify as a quaint coastal town.
    IMG_1479PT.jpg

2. koki

koki Active Member

Does the lime green place in the second photo still serve excellent Hawaiian food?

3. Dypsisdean

I believe that is the "Fish Hopper" - very good fish, and always busy, but I don't know if I would call it "Hawaiian Food."

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

The first has the typical F.benghalensis look...the second has our (what also grows huge in the bay area) F.macrophylla look when grown in the tropics. Open,and deep fluted base to the trunk.

I like Spam!..fried for breakfast or as my mom used to do..baked with pineapple and brown sugar. Good eating!

5. Dypsisdean

Now that's local Hawaiian. :) Don't forget the rice and gravy for some locomoco.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Toby - everything tastes great after an afternoon of sampling the Maui Wowie WideEyed Doctor HungOver- LOL Hungry Happy

7. koki

koki Active Member

Moose- you are probably right, but back in those days it was usually a margarita or corona washing down kailua pig, poke fish, sashimi, or lomilomi. That place was open air, old fashioned with linoleum floors. Best view in town. It looks like old Kona town hasn't changed much.