La Nina

koki

20/09/09
I spoke with a weather expert at NWS in Ruskin about a repeat of last year's cold winter. She said with La Nina in place we should have a warmer and drier winter. Good news! Time to plant some crotons.

I hope the news of a warmer Winter pans out. But I do not put any faith in the long term outlook forcasts. Here if a funny true story of a forcast from years ago in Richmond VA. The weather man had forcast partly cloudy with lows around 30f. The next morning the area awoke to 6" of snow. That evening on the news he said " I received a few calls today to come shovel the 6" of partly cloudy off the walks, and clean the partly cloudy of their cars".:p

Toby,

This is good news.

Remember though, that just about any winter in our history was warmer than last year. The NWS, like any government institution, can be very diplomatic when making a statement like that. 11 consecutive cold days instead of last year's 12 would be "warmer". Anyway, I'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as last year.

Ray

Since this post the Florida weather has turned delightful for us, but windy and dry for the plants. Normal!
Wish we'd have at least one day of good rain every 10 days! Pretty sure I'll be schlepping the hose around for the next 6 months now. I'd rather have predictable than last years winter though!

I spoke with a weather expert at NWS in Ruskin about a repeat of last year's cold winter. She said with La Nina in place we should have a warmer and drier winter. Good news! Time to plant some crotons.

So much for the expert opinion. Who would have thought just two months ago what we were in store for? :eek: