1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

King of Siam

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Borgy230, Oct 23, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

So I finally saw the real king of Siam today!!!

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Say's who?

3. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

The Siams and Wizards need clarification too. Rob's photo looks like what others call Red Wizard.

Jeff, make sure you bring the Big Red Footed Rapture too.

[​IMG]

Here's what I was told was the real King Of Siam

[​IMG]

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I believe that Rapture has wavy margins along the leaf. Red Foot does not and has larger pronounced leaves. Just curious if this is a west coast / east coast identity confusion. Caroll Graff had her wonderful album of cultivars at the meeting at Ricky's Garden. Her photo of Rapture definitely showed wavy margins on the leaves. Red Foot could prove to be a distinct cultivar in my opinion.

Being a relative new comer to the croton world, my opinion probably does not mean much. :eek:

5. Jeff Searle

Ron,

That's not true. You have a good eye and everyone's opinion has merit.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here is what I have identified in my yard as Red Foot. It gets morning sun and is shaded after 12:00 pm. The new leaf in the 2nd photo is 12 inches long. The leaves seem to keep getting bigger and bigger as this cultivar matures. I do not believe that my leaf size on it has not maxed out. How big of a leaf does Rapture get? Lets hear what you west coast croton mavens have to say. :)

Attached Files:

7. Croton Guru

Croton Guru Banned

The King is mostly if not all Green and Creme with a hint of yellow, Thats more than likely a Queen of Siam.

8. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

So what the heck is this little beauty?

9. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

here is what I have for king of siam

Attached Files:

10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dave, Yours looks like what my Queen Of Siam looked before last winter. Killed to ground, returned fast but lacks color. Here it is as of today...

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      250.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I've got Red Foot and Queen of Siam. :)

The King of Siam has remained elusive and have not see one available for trade/sale. :(

Rapture is another elusive one for me. :( Unless I got it as another name (Dreer #7. America)? :confused:

12. Jeff Searle

Dave,

Your plant is what I also have and has called King of Siam for many,many years.

Ron, Judy Glock just recently accuired a nice 3 gallon Rapture. It gets a very large leaf, maybe she can post a picture soon.

13. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

I think we've had this discussion before but here goes:

1. Referring to Dr. Brown's book, p116: The real colorful one at the top is labeled Queen of Siam . The bottom pic is labeled King of Siam (and has been referred to in the trade also as Wizard of Oz, especially if it shows some pink on the mature leaves - more *&^%$#@! confusion). To me this seems ass- backwards since the male of a species is almost always more colorful than the female. Does anyone know when and where these originated???

2. Last year at a croton meeting I picked up a little gem that was labeled as the TRUE king of Siam - and it bears a passing resemblance to the red one in Ray's pics.

Attached are some pics of the Siams growing in the yard. The green and yellow version is a vigorous grower and adapts to almost full sun (and those with good eyes may spot some *&^%! dead squishy green scale on the first pic). The colorful one is slow - very slow.
    The TRUE KofS has only been in the ground a few months but look like it too is SLOW - at least here in the S. Pinellas Desert.

The two pics at the end are of a very colorful Rheedii since I had the camera out and have nothing to do with the rest of this thread.

onward through the fog

Attached Files:

14. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

:cool:Just for fun and games I have a really nice K o Siam. 3ft by 4.5 wide morning sun very good grower.

Attached Files: