Key West ?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
The Wiki has a cultivar named Key West. There is no photo. What I recall hearing about this cultivar is that it is either a form or sport of Ovalifolium. The leaf shape is simular to Ovalifolium but has distinct pink veining. Don't believe I have ever seen one.

Is anyone growing Key West? Can anyone provide a photo for the Wiki? Can anyone add any further information about this cultivar?

The City of Key West has more to offer than the sights and smells of Duval St, thank you very much. The cultivar of Key West is very similar to Ovafolium. My friend Danny picked one up from Marie Nock a short while ago. Moose, you are describing the plant very well. I don't have one, but I'm sure that Marie could post a pic.

Jeff,

I didn't even know such a plant/name existed until Bob Alonzo identified it in my garden. He pointed out the slightly more distinguishable pink color and leaf veining not present on the more common form. This is another one of those plants like Queen Emma that are supposedly old varieties but aren't documented anywhere. It's information like this that we lose when people like John Bender and Bob Halgrim pass away.

Ray

The City of Key West has more to offer than the sights and smells of Duval St, thank you very much. The cultivar of Key West is very similar to Ovafolium. My friend Danny picked one up from Marie Nock a short while ago. Moose, you are describing the plant very well. I don't have one, but I'm sure that Marie could post a pic.

Tim - the island is not that big. How about stopping by Danny's and snap a couple of shots for Ana. I think she loves posting photos in the Wiki where there was none before. Ana - perhaps a footnote mentioning Ray's info for this cultivar may be appropriate. :)