Keith's crotons

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by annafl, Jul 24, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I went to visit Keith yesterday and left with mental overload. Lots of beautiful hybrids new to me and I venture to say new to many of you. I wanted to show some of the photos I took: 1)First 3 are John Halgrim Jr. (Halgrim hybrid) 2)Next 3 are Pandora-An unknown hybrid obtained at the Edison Estate and named Pandora.

Attached Files:

2. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Next ones are: 3)First 3 are Nocatee (Halgrim hybrid), 4)Next two are Sanborn Jr. 5)Last 3 are Confetti

Attached Files:

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

6)Yellow Quill-Keith's sport off a red quill he named Yellow Quill 7)White Tapestry are the next three:eek:

Attached Files:

4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I have 3 more but I have to run, so I will post them later. I was going to put these in the wiki and I was hoping someone (?Scott) could right the ones that I have sideways. Thanks so much! Enjoy. Ana

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Nice plants Keith,I will take one of each. Thanks for posting Anna.
    picresized_th_1374700206_DSC_0294.jpg picresized_th_1374700277_DSC_0295.jpg picresized_th_1374700494_DSC_0298.jpg picresized_th_1374700685_DSC_0302.jpg

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

one more!
    picresized_th_1374703772_DSC_0322.jpg

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

8)Skeet Jones (2), 9)Cornelius Halgrim (3) and 10) Seminole Queen (3) with its huge leaves!

Unfortunately, these photos don't do these plants justice. That Cornelius Halgrim was to die for!:eek:
    Hey Scott, could you turn the couple right side up? Thanks! Enjoy.

DSC_0326.jpg DSC_0325.jpg DSC_0327.jpg DSC_0329.jpg DSC_0328.jpg DSC_0330.jpg DSC_0331.jpg DSC_0332.jpg

8. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

:cool: I need one or two of this one myself.
    picresized_th_1374710585_DSC_0327.jpg picresized_th_1374710812_DSC_0329.jpg

9. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

It's nice to see these rarely seen cultivars. Beautiful!

10. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

DSC_0319.jpg DSC_0320.jpg DSC_0321.jpg

One I forgot: Florida Sunset (Halgrim hybrid) A real beauty with hot pink colors!:cool:

11. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

DSC_0315.jpg DSC_0316.jpg DSC_0317.jpg DSC_0318.jpg

In my hurry, I also forgot Rapture (first two) and Revelation (last two)

Keith mentioned something about East-coast and West-coast varieties of these. Any discussions?

12. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Ana, My Revelation does have a bit of a different look. Mine is much tighter with larger leaves, but I've given cuttings to some locals & theirs now look different. Thanks for the pics of Keith's plants.;) Any more?

13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Wow ,pics look great,those are some seldom seen varieties.My Revelation looks very different than the one pictured??

14. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

So, what should we do about the wiki? East coast vs. west coast Revelation? And let's see some photos so the rest of us can be privy to what you mean, please!:p

15. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

An "East Coast" Revelation for comparison.;) DSC_0058_2.jpg DSC_0029.jpg DSC_0011.jpg

16. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

here's a Revelation I got from Moose (East Coast) that has been growing in filtered light for a year on the West Coast.
    onward through the fog...

Attached Files:

17. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

As my engineering logic professor once said, "somesing is wong". How do we seperate the coasts and which form is from which coast?? :p Then add to the fact that with Phil and Keith having both forms on the west coast, this croton is bi-coastal. ;)

18. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

So, is there any consensus on what to do with these crotons as far as the wiki goes?:confused:

19. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

I think we should post both forms in the wiki under Revelation. We have a precedent with Sybil Griffin with 3 forms posted under the name.

20. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Post the pics with captions and let the reader sort it out. We're talking crotons, a genetically unstable plant, not religious doctrine.

21. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Hey, Scott, could you turn Keith's Raptures right side up? Thanks. Ana:)

22. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Now I have the Deborah Harry Rapture song stuck in my head now.
    picresized_th_1374801071_RaptureDSC_0316.jpg picresized_th_1374801185_RaptureDSC_0315.jpg

23. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I would like to add my opinion. I strongly suggest that this "west coast" Rapture is not and what I have been calling Red Foot for many years. I have what is to believe to be the correct Rapture. It has a much larger leaf, it originally came from Johnny and when I brought it over to Ft. Myers 3 years ago to the Glock's croton tour, Bob Alonzo and Mark Hooton totally agreed.

I'm also pretty certain that I have read somewhere that B. Frank wrote, that Rheedii or Rheedi are both acceptable ways of spelling. I will double check.

And Sturrock's Pink Veitchii is a valid name/plant.

24. Jeff Searle

I try not to do a lot of identification based on looking at pictures on the screen. It's very hard at times as you all know. But, I think the pic's of Revelation all look to be the same, Keith's plant maybe a little in question but looks pretty close. It appears to have a lot of veining and no blotching. But again, without looking at it in person, it's really hard sometimes. Ana.....great job!!!

25. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dang Phil - that sucka looks like it loves being on the West Coast ! Yourin's looks 10 times better than the Momma plant. Surrounding stuff grew, leaving her in to much shade. Your Revelation can be traced back to the guy who has all those fantastic cultivars for sale every Oct. It was one of my early acquisitions.

Now - this is one of the unidentified Dr. Frank Brown crotons. Seems to have alot of resemblence to the "West Coast" Revelation Its a more vigorous cultivar than the "East Coast" Revelation :cool:

Attached Files:

26. Jeff Searle

Ron,

That is NOT Revelation. You want to see a good pic of one, maybe Judy or possibly Jerry has one in his yard too. But Judy's plant is a very good representation.