Just learning

Discussion in 'TEST POSTING AND UPLOADING PHOTOS HERE' started by Dan Stanhope, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Dan Stanhope

Dan Stanhope New Member

I'm new and just trying to see if I can post and add a picture. With luck I'll post a picture of a little potted AFD #9 croton.
    P1010716.JPG

2. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

You're a quick learner Dan. Welcome to the forum!

3. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

Welcome, Dan! Nice to see someone from my (the coldest) part of our "tropics". Are you interested in crotons?

4. Dan Stanhope

Dan Stanhope New Member

Thank you both for the welcome comments. Pix, indeed I am gaining an interest in Crotons. There were 4 (Petras of course) in the yard when I moved here 14 years ago but we had a couple of years with freezes (indeed we are on the fringe of the "tropics") and they were getting smaller every year. I moved them to the side yard and we never had another real freeze until now. A few years later I planted a Stoplight by the woods in back and it is now 7 ft. tall. Then I bought 2 Magnificents which grew quickly and via cuttings and layering became 15 plants. So I finally plunged and mail ordered a Mrs. Iceton, a Majesticum, something called McArthur Complex (??), a Piecrust and an AFD #9 from Hawaii. Finally this fall I found Peters Crotons and got a Fred Sander and a Madame Butterfly at the USF plant sale in Oct. Now if the weather will just cooperate and the deer will stop eating everything freshly planted!

I'm looking forward to attending some tours and sales in the coming year to round out a small space limited collection. And mostly just to see some of the amazing gardens several of the members here have put together. Stay warm - another cold front coming this weekend.

Dan

Pix likes this.
  5. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

Oh, no! We had it so nice and warm (and humid) two days! I finally got some things done. …and I already put my frost blankets away!
    Dan, you have to visit "Christine's Tropical & Exotic Plants" at Oldsmar Flea market. Rick there is a big fan of crotons and brings in anything new that he comes by, sometimes even not knowing what a treasure he has. Last October I bought 3 Stewartii (in addition to the first one given to me by ScotTi a couple years ago). These are supposedly the most cold hardy of all crotons. I planted them in the open north corner spot where the golden dewdrop decided to die on me.
    They are doing well. The Scott's plant (on the right) is not happy, because it is "just moved" again :)
    View attachment 36635

6. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

IMG_5206.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

I keep getting the error message and my post is all messed up.
    I was at USF sale last fall visiting Peters Crotons. I saw a man (you?) buying a large Fred Sander. There is a reason why I pay special attention to Fred Sander. ScotTi and I bought this croton 3 years ago in Oldsmar Walmart in 3" pots as a "tropical foliage". ScotTi identified it. It a a very beautiful plant, but it is somewhat different from Peters: the leaves are not that stiff.

...Also Ana from "Eden" nursery on McMullen Booth usually has a large selection of crotons. Last year she had AFD 7 and 9, Mrs.Iceton, Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt, Mr.Franklin Roosevelt, King of Siam, Dreadlocks, Pie Crust, Picturatum, Zanzibar, Picasso's Paintbrush, Sunny Star, Magnificent and, of course, Mammey, Petra, Gold Dust.

8. Dan Stanhope

Dan Stanhope New Member

Thanks so much for the two local sources. I will definitely get out to see them. I did buy a Fred Sander from Mark at the USF sale (white beard and long white hair) , along with a Madame Butterfly. Unfortunately the M. Butterfly was infested with green scale and it is in quarantine in a corner of the pool deck. I'd never had scale around here before and had a hard time getting rid of it. At least I hope I did get rid of it.

You have some very nice looking crotons there, along with a great assortment of other foliage mixed in with them. I'll be working on developing a few areas in the spring and Ill steal any ideas I see! Spring just can't come fast enough.

9. Native son

Native son Esteemed Member

Dan we have a meeting scheduled try to make your way South. There will be lots of opportunity for expansion of you Croton collection. IMG_0818.JPG