Jubaea chilensis sprouts

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, May 27, 2010.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

In Nov. 2008 I was out in Calif. and picked up 6 Jubaea seed. I did the baggie method on the seed. Yesterday I happened to pick up the bag to throw them out and saw white roots in the bag. I have sprouts on 4 seed. :)

2. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is a look at the mother Jubaea taken in Nov 08.

Attached Files:

3. bepah

bepah Active Member

Patience is golden.........congratulations......it will be 1 billion years before you can put them in the ground :)

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

That's why some growers I know never throw out old seeds. They just toss them all in a pile with a little light soil under a bench and check them every 2-3 months. You just never know.

5. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

That's a kooky lookin' Jubaea. Anyone think it might be a J x B?

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

UPDATE:Growing really good so far.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      234 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Dypsisdean

Ought to be picking up speed any year now - the hard parts done. Should be an easy grow from here. Somewhat slow, but I would think almost all will survive.

8. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, I do not think its going to be a easy grow here in FL, unless it a hybrid. I am just growing them for kicks and have no plans of putting it in the ground.

9. Dypsisdean

Ah yes,
    I forgot about that. I was thinking that in California I neglected quite a few of those, and they just kept on growing. I don't think I ever lost even one.

10. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Scott, I assume that is the mother plant of the one you gave me? What a beauty~

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Bren, Yes that is the mother of your little one.

12. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Mine is still chugging along!

13. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

My plants are growing faster than I expected.

14. crazypalmdude

crazypalmdude Member

i just ordered some butia x jubaea seeds has anyone tried to germinate these? how long did they take you and do they grow faster then regular jubaea?

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Patrick, My seedlings may very well be Jubaea x Butia, as there were Butia growing very close by the Jubaea. The seed took 18 months to sprout, but have grown fast in the last 8 months. When I say fast, I am comparing with Butia X Syagrus. The growth rate is about the same at this age. I have no idea of seedling growth rates of a pure Jubaea to compare.

16. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Not looking bad for 9 month olds...

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      167.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      163.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Dypsisdean

Still a little ways from trunking. :)

One seed I sprouted, planted in ground, and later dug and traded, now has about a foot of trunk for it's new owner. And that was, I'm guessing, at least 15 yrs. ago.

18. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

June 2011 the first signs of split leaves on the seedlings. The look of the split leaf is not what I was expecting... but I will wait for the next leaf.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      114.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      105.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      130.1 KB
      Views:
  19. palmman97

palmman97 Member

good luck with the seedlings, I have one in my collection from a 5 gal 5years in the ground.:cool:

Attached Files:

20. The Silent Seed

The Silent Seed Active Member

I can't imagine being THAT patient - I mean, 2008 to 2011... that's nearly a lifetime ;)
    That said, I'm patiently waiting for some Hyphaene and Acrocomia seeds that I planted this spring, that probably will take a few years... The best way to deal with it is, as others have said, just forget about them! That, to me, makes the surprise of finding roots/sprouts all the more pleasant.

21. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I am not that patient and I do not care if they make it or not. The plants are alive but I have not noticed any growth this summer. I am giving them tough love now.

22. Dypsisdean

Without patience, you may wish to find another hobby. :) There are slower palms out there.

With your set up, I would think the slower the better anyway. :) It's too bad that palms are the reverse of how we would prefer them. Fast at first, and then slowing down. But, alas they are the opposite.

23. Jane_Whitt

Jane_Whitt Member

Jubaea chilensis, also known as the Chilean wine palm or nutsedge is a huge and impressive palm tree that is native to Chile, where it is grown for its sap which is converted into palm honey and wine. It is now a protected palm Chile. This palm has pinnate leaves and a massive inverted pyramid-shaped bottle, can reach 80 feet (25 m) high. Take edible nuts that look like miniature coconuts.
    Chilensis is a palm Jubaea huge and colorful when ripe. However, growth is slow. In addition, this palm is relatively resistant to frost, and supports short frost to -10 ° C to -12 ° C. This palm therefore can be grown in protected locations in USDA zones 8 and warmer.

Chilean wine palm has evergreen pinnate leaves, and a mature palm has a massive canopy of about 50 leaves can be up to 15 feet (5 m) wide.
    This palm flowers before they are 40 to 60 years of age. The inflorescences are yellow-cream and are about 5 feet (1.5 m) long.
    Fruits of the Chilean wine palm also known as nutsedge. The fruits look like miniature coconuts, and are about 1.5 inches (4 cm) in diameter. Also know as coconuts.

Jubaea requiert chilensis exhibits them suivante: mi-ombre, light and sound, soleil
    This palm requires a deep and well drained soil. Chilean wine palm is not particularly resistant to salt.
    One major enemy of the Chilean wine palm (and many palms) is Paysandisia archon, a butterfly can be a great threat to palms in southern Europe and other places in the world

24. Dypsisdean

Jane,

Are you familiar with Palmpedia's Wiki - the online Palm Encyclopedia. Information such as you have provided could be added and would be greatly appreciated. Check here http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Jubaea_chilensis

You can register, and after being accepted, you can edit and add to any page/species.

25. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

No offense meant here Jane, but is user Jane_Whitt a computer/auto-spammer/marketing ploy? I saw a similar post on Palmtalk with lots of official book description type stuff with no personal forum interaction. If I'm wrong, sorry Jane, it's all good information, I'm just a little puzzled why it seems to be a copy/paste from the internet on a forum where people have conversations. Like Dean said, yhe wiki would be a great place to add info like that.

26. Dypsisdean

Matty,

I think it may be a little bit of a ploy to plug her silk plant Biz (click on signature) - but no ploy is needed - looks like a legit biz and we can appreciate even "fake" plants. I think she was inquiring about ad space on PT. She is welcome to keep on trucking here - our doors are open.

27. The Silent Seed

I learned a lot about Jubaea from Jane's post. Thank you Jane, and welcome!

28. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

If she's a real person then that's cool. On some of the other forums I'm on they get weird auto recognition spammer computers that can recognize the topic, and then they come in and make some encyclopedic/internet copy/paste post all just so their signature/advertisement gets posted.

29. Dypsisdean

Jury's still out Matty. I have a silk plant person inquiring about ad space here and on PT, but after checking, it is a different biz. So who knows?

30. richnorm

richnorm Member

Looks like you might have hybrids there Scott. The mother plant looks a little different too.
    cheers
    Richard

31. The Silent Seed

Hi all, been gone a while - but back I am!
    True, if I grew only Palms, I would need more patience than I have now - but that aside, Palms are a minority of what I grow, anyway, so it's all good. I grow them more for enjoyment, and the ease of germinating seeds (if slowly!)

32. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The Jubaea took a hit in the FL summer this year and look bad now. I hope they will make some sort of improvement now that the real humid conditions have past for the season.