1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Wright passes.

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Never met him,don't know much about him. I do know that back in the 70's I read a Sunset Magazine that featured his garden in San Diego. It had that crazy front yard of bamboo palms that blocked all views of the house...I never saw a home planted like that. I remember too my first sight- or even heard of- Shaving Brush palms. It had about 3' of trunk was whatever feet tall and the caption said "planted 12 years ago".
    It was after that when I got the first bite of California tropical gardening..plant every open square inch. I still haven't shaken that off!

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Stan - Jim would have been happy to have known that pictures of his house/garden inspired or awakened your passion for growing exotic plants. He was one of the first guys who helped me along as a babe in the woods with exotics. He had an unsurpassed desire to reach every person he came in contact with - and pass along his obvious love of growing exotic plants. Everyone who visited his garden had to sign his guestbook. And I couldn't even begin to guess how many names were in it. If I had to - I would say many thousands.

Apart from his impact on the plant community, Jim and his deceased wife Lise were two of the most genuinely kind and caring people you would ever meet. A conversation with Jim was engaging, stimulating, and left you with the feeling that he really wanted to connect and share his experiences with you - whatever they were. And having a conversation with him was as easy as taking a breath - just making eye contact was enough to get one going.

I will miss knowing he is no longer with us.

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I recieved this photo of Jim from Jeff Marcus of Floribunda Palms and Exotics in Hawaii. It is of Jim and Jeff recently in California. Jim has the beard. We both knew Jim for over 30 years. I asked Jeff if he ever saw Jim without his beard, and he laughed and then said no - me neither.

Attached Files: