1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Jeffs Garden

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by pocomo, May 25, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Jeff and I got together yesterday. Some exchanges were made and I got to look at the operation. A lot of nice things on there way at the nursery. The diner Jeff new was closed so we did subway. Then went out to his house to look at things. It became sensory overload. Too many names and a lot of well grown crotons. For me there were lots of bloomers and possibilities. Searle has got to get on the band wagon and start pollinating stuff. Enough of the "when I get older it will give me something to do" act. So anyway I pollinated polychrome with monarch and a few other things. Hope you remember where they are Jeff. Had a good day.Chris

2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Chris -
    What is your experience with the length of time that croton seeds remain viable after 'harvest' from the parent plant?

3. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Phil
    I usually plant them as soon as they come off the plant. Last year though I went away after planting about 50 seeds. I was gone for a month and I only had 5 plants growing when I got home. It might have been a mango hitting the pot that caused mortality. I also found seeds that I missed collecting probably a month and a half later and none of them sprouted. I think it's best to plant them asap. Since crotons are native to the tropics I'm pretty sure their viability isn't that long. I wouldn't wait more than a month but if I have good seed I'm going to plant them.

4. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Thanks, Chris. That explains why nothing from last Dec and planted a month ago has sprouted. Hardly seems like a good survival strategy for a plant, but when you have humans propagating the plant, why mess with seeds.
    Kieth mentioned it to me the other day and wanted to check with others.

5. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Euphorbia (fairly close relative to Codiaeum) seeds usually have a short viability period...

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Sex in Jeff's garden ? :eek: I thought that only happened when Jim Glock was visiting ? :rolleyes:

7. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

No....Jim is usually just a thorn in my side!:eek: