Jeff Chait Hybrids & Seedlings

kwtimo

22/05/10
Here's a thread that I am going to need some help with from all of us collectors. In the past month, I have acquired two of Jeff Chait's crotons that I was completely unaware of before. While I now have three of his creations, I am wondering how many more Jeff Chait crotons there are. I really like all three of the cultivars, and am hoping to help get more of these out to other collectors. If anybody has any more information, or other Jeff Chait plants, could you please help out by contributing info and photos? Here are the three that I have. First is Helen Chait. Does great in the shade.
20150628_101735.jpg
20150628_101721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one I picked up from Marie Nock about a moth ago. It was just called Chait Hybrid. Really looking forward to seeing this one grow out.
20151106_153427.jpg
20151106_153453.jpg
20151106_153603.jpg

Next is the croton I picked up at the auction at Phil's. I believe it came from H. Lee. It was referred to as Jeff Chait seedling. Also looking forward to watching this one grow out and thrive.

20151031_180117.jpg
20151031_180107.jpg

Colors remind me of the plant labeled Davis Estates from Sat. Ron P brought it. Is the gentleman still living or is that an old plant?

Attachments

• 20151103_173026.jpg
    20151103_173026.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 113
Wow Bren! You weren't kidding. This man is really into his plants, and Ryan did another nice job of narrating. That is a garden I would very much like to get to visit some day.

I think Marie has the answer, the Chait's are/were friends of her's.

Jeff grew many nice seedlings. We used to trade crotons years ago. I numbered his seedlings and then started naming them with his permission. Helene Chait for his wife but the one I named after Jeff turned out to be White Charles Rutherford. I never counted his different seedlings and now many of the tags have worn out but I would guess I have 7 - 10.

Many of the Chait hybrids are out there. Some of the others that I named are Sailor's Delight, Cherry Smash and Cheers.

image.jpeg
This picture was taken at the 2015 Ramble. I met Jeff Chaik at a tour at J. Searle's house. I was amazed at his conversations about palms and all plants in general. He is truly knowledgeable and fun to talk to.

Lamar, I don't have a lot of experience with this cultivar, so I'm not completely sure. I have one in pretty deep shade at the Audubon that has a Chilli Pan-ish habit to it, so you could be spot on. Might be a candidate for multiple plants in one space to give it a fuller look. Marie, what has your experience been with this plant?

Lamar, I don't have a lot of experience with this cultivar, so I'm not completely sure. I have one in pretty deep shade at the Audubon that has a Chilli Pan-ish habit to it, so you could be spot on. Might be a candidate for multiple plants in one space to give it a fuller look. Marie, what has your experience been with this plant?

Tim, describing its growth habit as like Chili Pan is perfect. I only have one plant in the ground growing under a huge Coccoloba pubescens so it gets very little light. I take cuttings each year to make one pot available for sale/auction or trade.

Not the best pictures, but it will give an idea of the growth habit. This plant gets very little light, and could certainly use more. The earlier pics I posted are of Sailors Delight at my house, and it gets bright filtered light throughout most of the day. Big difference there.
20160421_082915_HDR.jpg
20160421_082937_HDR.jpg
20160421_082952_HDR.jpg