1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Duke of Winsor?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Sep 25, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Now you can see how bad I am at making a croton cultivar I.D. Spotted this one earlier this evening on my way home and stopped to get the picture. I find this plant to have very attractive coloring. If I had to guess, I would say it is Duke of Winsor. :confused:

Now what is it really? :rolleyes:

Thanks, Ron. :)

Attached Files:

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

No. That's "Sunrise" page 98 in the book. I have two of these in the ground and neither one looks as good as yours.

Here is "Duke of Windsor" - a common sport from "Stoplight":

[​IMG]

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Ricky,

The picture of "Sunrise" on page 98 dosen't look anything like the two in Ron's pictures. Are we on the same "page"?

4. fawnridge

Here's the photo from the book. Call me crazy, but they look the same to me:

[​IMG]

And here's a shot of my "Sunrise", identified at the first meeting at Rick's house by all present:

[​IMG]

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The Bob Alonzo photo seems to have more orange in it than the photo I posted. However, The photo of Ricky's plant does look like a dead ringer to the one I posted. Another I.D. debate to follow I am sure. :eek:

Ron. :)

6. fawnridge

The book photo has much less orange than the picture; blame it on the cheap scanner. Here's the "Sunrise" today, after a couple of years in the ground. The new leaf is 16" long! Again, sorry for the flash washout, but the good camera is already packed for a barbecue contest we're heading to in a few hours. The yellow Croton in the lower right is "Lyrata" from a cutting we took in Jamaica 18 months ago.

[​IMG]

And here's that same "Duke of Windsor" several years later. This one has been in two different places in the garden thanks to Wilma:

[​IMG]

7. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Ron,

The plant in your photo has more red and a slightly different leaf shape than DoW. That's just my two cents. Whatever you've got there is nice and worth propagating ;)

Ray

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ray - that is definitely going to happen. The croton in my photo is growing two blocks from my home just feet from the street adjacent to a telephone pole in full western expose sun. This croton has been unloved and ignored for years. The leaves may be larger and more colorful if propagated in optimal conditions. I gotta try! ;)

It does look like Ricky's plants that were given to him as "Sunrise" :confused:

Ron :)

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

After I make some succesful airlayers of this croton, what should I put on the tag? "Sunrise cv, maybe" ??? :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

10. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Ron,
    It could be a Carmen Christian. Look at the picture on P. 108 of Brown's book. When I first saw your picture, that's what came to mind.
    Marie

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I have been staring at pg. 98 "Sunrise" and page 108
    "Carmen Christian" and blowing up my photos for comparison. Both cultivars a little simular than different to me. I think Marie may be correct as it seem more like "Carmen Christian" :eek: