1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Philadelphia?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Crazy for Crotons, Sep 8, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

2. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Where's Bob Alonzo when you need him? I'm still waiting on a promise he made to get over to my yard before early October. I need him to clear up some very interesting crotons before I put them out for sale come Oct. 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

3. Crazy for Crotons

Yes, we need Bob here.

4. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Was this one ever ID'd?

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Bren - I had one and then killed it. Frankly I do not recall if it looked like this Photo. This photo actually resembles a Jean Frances Fascell to me. :confused:

6. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like the Philadelphia I have. I'll post a pic later.

7. Jeff Searle

I agree, ( Randy, did you get your's from me?), it's a much smaller leaf, other than the colors don't look right. My plant was identified later from Bob Alonzo.
    Jeff

8. palmisland

This Philadelphia is from Jeff last year. It needs to go in the ground & it's looked better. The second photo it is shown next to a Eugenia for scale. (not THAT kind of scale)

Attached Files:

9. Crazy for Crotons

Lyratum and Philly are very similar. The colors are the same but one has larger lobes.

10. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Does Philly come with chives and are we talking about the fat-free or the high test?

11. Crazy for Crotons

Bob mentioned to me that Philadelphia is a very consistent oak leaf and has little if any variability. The one in Jeff's picture has quite a bit of variation between leaves i.e. varying leaf length, shape, lobe size. That said, I've never seen Philadelphia in person so perhaps Jeff's plant is the real deal.

12. palmisland

Don't use mine as a perfect leaf shape. It was in the shade for a few months & then back in sun for a few. The original leaves were consistent in size & color. More shrub like.

13. Crazy for Crotons

Randy,

Philadelphia has some pink to the leaf underside. Check yours and that will help with an ID. Maybe you can throw an air layer on yours for me? ;)

Ray

14. palmisland

Ray, This is a different plant than the previous one. It has pinkish leaf undersides. Is this Philly?

Attached Files:

15. Crazy for Crotons

No Philadelphia is more veined and has no real splotching. Again, these are notes I've taken from Bob. I've never actually seen the plant "in person".

16. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

What was the outcome? Were these Philadelphia ? If not does anyone have one that would like to post a photo. If I recall properly, the semi-oak shaped leaves were not very large on the one I killed ? :confused:

17. Jeff Searle

For those of you that come to the November Croton Tour, I have a couple of decent size plants that Bob had named for me to see.

18. palmisland

This is the description from the WIKI. The photo is mine from this evening. The difference in the lobes is obvious.

Type Q, 2-1/2" x 7", - Generally one side lobe is pointed and the other rounded. Ground color is bright green. Generally the midrib is irregularly margined yellow and leaf dotted and splashed yellow. A very effective oak leaf. Never shows and red traits.

REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.13.

Rather small, brilliant yellow leaves of oak leaf type.

REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

Attached Files:

19. Crazy for Crotons

The last photo looks like an old variety named Craigii (see Albert Byrd Graf's book Exotica). Do not confuse that with Craigii Supreme. It's another old cultivar named Craigii. As Phil says, "Onward through the fog."