Irene Kingsley

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Rags, Jun 14, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Rags

Rags Active Member

Enjoy

Rags :cool:

Attached Files:

Kingdavid likes this.
  2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

A fairly common croton around here - but an exceptionally well-grown one like that is a rarity.

3. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Incredible color - very very nice!

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Looks like a Satan to me. Very pronounced trident shaped leaves representing Satan's pronged septre. ;)

5. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

I thought Satan and Irene Kingsley were one and the same?

6. Rags

Rags Active Member

From the looks of it, this plant never receives full sunlight; there is significant tree cover in the area. From my estimate based on location, this plant would probably get a hint of sunlight for a couple hours during the late afternoon period....

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Some on this forum have said so. I remain unconvinced. Jessie Durko was at the May Croton Tour at the Harris Garden. Probably a question we should have put forth to him. :eek:

8. Rags

Rags Active Member

Here are some pics of my Irene Kingsley (which is in 100% sunlight and soon to be be relocated to shade) :eek:

Attached Files:

9. Rags

Rags Active Member

And to make thing even more confusing here is another version of Irene Kingsley (this plant also spends 12 hours in direct sunlight, soon this will change) :confused:

By the way the leaves are huge on this one.....

Attached Files:

10. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Allan - that second group of pics looks a lot more like Sybil Griffin than Irene 'Satan' Kingsley due to the large lobes on the leaves.

11. Rags

Rags Active Member

Now that would certainly explain alot....... this plant has been playing with my mind for some months now :eek:

12. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

My Irene Kingsley has been looking rather nice lately CAM00860.jpg CAM00862.jpg CAM00857.jpg

13. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Wowzaaa! I wish I had about 25 that looked like this for my upcoming Extravaganza Sale in March.

14. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Wow, Tim, I thought mine was looking nice, but yours is the best I've ever seen!!! This plant seems to change so much with the seasons. Really looks best for me in winter and early spring I think. Must be hormones. Is it putting out flowers too? All my plants are so confused. They think it's spring. We've had incredible weather the last two or three weeks. Now that's going to change soon. I think 40's is forecasted for later in the week.:(

15. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up in Hallandale back in the 60's, our dad "Pops" had a successful plant nursery going in the backyard of my grandmother's house(next door). One thing I remember was helping him get things ready to put air layers on. But I also remember some of the old variety names that he was growing. He probably only grew 10-15 different ones back then, which included, Irene Kingsley, General Paget and Stoplight that I remembered very well. This is also the house where the original Pop's Yard came out of.

Kingdavid likes this.
  16. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Long time no post welcome back. I miss picture from Trinidad