interesting seedlings

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by kwtimo, May 10, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I do weekly garden maintenance at a property in Shark Key, and have been watching these seedlings developing within very close proximity to an AFD#5. All four were growing within 10 feet of each other from the parent croton without any care, and not much irrigation. There are more seedlings that are present, but they do not exhibit afd seedlings 005.jpg afd seedlings 004.jpg afd seedlings 008.jpg afd seedlings 001.jpg afd seedlings 009.jpg afd seedlings 010.jpg afd seedlings 013.jpg afd seedlings 012.jpg any real color characteristics yet so I left them to develop. They haven't stressed too much from the transplant either. Should be interesting to see these develop over time. I am amazed at the diversity that can be produced from seedlings.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Very nice,let us see how they develop

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Wow, Tim, those are really cool! I especially love the first one. Please keep showing us as the year progresses and they grow bigger. Thanks.

Ana

4. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I started this thread over a year ago, and thought I would post the progress of these seedlings. Some have really changed dramatically, and I am amazed at the differences in 8 inch plants to 4 ft plants in 3 gal. I will separate the posts by the individual seedlings. This one reminds me a bit of Dr. Alix. I put the original picture of the seedling to show the change, and there is also a pic of the current plant with one of the original leaves of the croton on it. afd seedlings 008.JPG CAM00516.jpg CAM00517.jpg CAM00518.jpg CAM00520.jpg

Moose likes this.
  5. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

afd seedlings 010.JPG CAM00522.jpg CAM00523.jpg CAM00524.jpg This one is not a real different or unique. I've been debating of whether to hold on to it or not. If it holds the pink coloring on the older leaves, I'll keep it going. At one point last year, I cut a good size piece of the top of and shoved it into the pot. It didn't skip a beat.

6. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

This one is starting to look like Fishbone, but with smaller leaves for now. afd seedlings 004.JPG CAM00525.jpg CAM00526.jpg CAM00527.jpg

7. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

image.jpg OK Forrest, crotons are like a box of chocolate. I can't give up on any of them they just sit over in the corner, and I keep hoping. They look good to me, some of the old varieties aren't all that great. Keep up the good work. I will post a pic .. Of my little twins same seed pod growing very nicely. image.jpg

8. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

Gosh Tim, congrats! They all look great. I haven't had any seeds sprout and has been a few weeks... possibly the medium they're in is a little too compact, but going to give them some time.... haven't given up on them.

9. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Nice, Tim. I especially like the one in photos 2/3/4. Nice leaf shape and color.

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member