1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Insanity in Mooseland!

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Aug 21, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Last Sunday the grass was wet so mowing the lawn was out. It was very overcast so I decided to get some crotons in the ground. The humidity was extremely high and I sweated like a pig. All crotons got a heathy dose of composted cow manure, peat moss and sand backfilled into the holes. They had a top dressing of 7-4-5 fertilizer for Acid Loving Plants from AFEC. Then heavily mulched :rolleyes:

Revolutions, I finally got one!

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Macadoo, not often encountered. The yellows should brighted up to a brillant orangish yellow. ;)

Attached Files:

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Claude Lorraine. This is in some pretty good shade. The mulch here is about 12 inches deep with a mass of palm roots that makes digging nearly impossible. This is mound planted with heavy amendments of composted cow manure and peat moss. I arranged coconut husks around the perimeter of the "hollowed out" hole in the heavy mulch to prevent the soil from washing away during our rainy season.

Attached Files:

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Prince of Orange. I used the same mound planting technique here as well. :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here is Pop's Yard. Rick (TikiRick) and I saw a large one of these growing at Jeff Searle's place and we both went crazy. It is gorgeous when grown properly. This is situated where it gets moring and midday sun, trying to mimick Jeff's sun exposure on his. :p

I have had this croton for awhile. Last fall I was not paying attention and it was drying out. I submerged the container in a 5 gallon bucket of water to saturate the roots. Well it got very waterlogged and I went to pull it out by the stem and &@$*#, I ripped it out of the container and made a mess of the roots. I wasted alot of recovery time and this croton really got set back. Learn from the moose's mistake and only lift your crotons by the container. I have to give myself the dumb ass award for this one! :eek:

Attached Files:

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Caribbean Star. This is definitely one to get. These pictures do not do this cultivar justice. Stunning colors when grown with proper difused sun light. This croton has magenta coloration in it's variegation. ;)

Attached Files:

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Great looking plants!

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Red Foot. This was planted in the wrong spot. I had it on a western exposure but where a pine tree shaded it in the afternoon when it was installed. Well the sun shifts throughout the year and this guy was getting BBQ'd. Everytime I was about to move it, it seemed it would get stressed, like a new flush of leaves getting severely burn't. This past winter really beat it back as well. :(

It is now positioned on a eastern exposure where it gets morning sun, a dappling midday sun and bright shade in the afternnon. ;)

Attached Files:

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Reubens. This is one I have been looking for. Well I get the 2nd Dumb Ass Award for this one also. I did pick this croton up by the container but did not have a firm grip. &$#@, I dropped it and unneccesarily set it back. One branch here is proped up since it still wants to lean from my actions. :eek:

Well it is looking much happier now. :)

Attached Files:

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Another one I am excited about getting into the ground, Commotion. I can't wait to see this one get its montster sized leaves. Look at the funky "forked leaf tip" on the close up. :p

Attached Files:

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Final installment for the day! This one is called Carmen Christian. I have been seeking this hard to find cultivar for some time. :)

10 crotons planted in one day. :eek: I made large holes and amended the soil for fast root development and hopefully large lush brightly colored plants. It may not seem like alot, but these plantings really kicked my butt.

I also have a theory that with all the orgainic material I am using, this will aid my crotons during our dreaded cold fronts. By saturating the ground during these events, the temperature of the roots will be significantly raised. I will loose leaves and potentially stems during severe cold, however keeping the roots warm should help with the possibility that the plant will survive. ;)

Well the moose had a severe crotonhead day. I hope all my fellow crotonheads have enjoyed the fruits of my labor and this thread. :)

I look forward to seeing most of you at the upcoming meetings!

Best regards,

Ron.

Attached Files:

12. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Ron,

Looks awesome! Great pics of some crotons lacking in the wiki!

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

After the recent winds, they don't look like this anymore. More like shreaded wheat! :(

14. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

shredded whaeat - good analogy. The wimpy crotons (Peace, Bravo and its various sports, Chrysophyllum, Mortii) a new Rubens are pretty much defoliated. Tonight should claim a few more ....

15. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

My Rudy Bachmann is now completely defoliated. Add that to the wimpy list too

16. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

So which crotons are holding up in this winter onslaught, if any??
    Are there some non-wimps in the bunch???

17. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, IMO there's far more crotons that hold up to severe cold temp's than not.

18. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

That's good to know...
    I'll probably want to use the more cold tolerant cultivars for hybridizing.
    If I remember correctly, Stewartii is supposed to be the most cold tolerant croton?

19. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stewartii is probably the most cold hardy. Stoplight is another that endures the cold better than most. :)

20. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Hopefully the Carmen Christian air layer will be ready for the Croton Auction. Here is the mother plant from 08/2010 in post # 11.

Croton Tour in 14 Days! :cool:

21. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

Ron,
    Your croton shots are amazing! I hate being set back with mistakes, but that's part of gardening!