Input needed for gallery of unknowns

annafl

Esteemed Member
Dean has been nice enough to help us with a gallery for identification of unknowns. Right now it is just a subforum and doesn't really give us anything different than this present forum. We can make it anything we want, but we need your suggestions to improve it. Please give your input under the thread in the subforum above. Marie has suggested a place for history and information about the plant and a photo of a mature leaf. I've suggested photos (Dean suggests they be numbered for easy reference), and the ability to click on them, post your educated guesses, and the ability to delete once the plant has been identified. Please comment and add your own vision of what it should entail. Please:D.

I am concerned that there is no input other than from Marie. Do you all think this is not a good idea? This is what Marie postulates as the function of this forum:

What I was hoping for when this was originally proposed was a place to post pictures and information of those crotons that we have not been able to identify - an archive like the wiki. I think when forum members want to post a picture for an ID, that should go in the regular forum - that's a lot of the activity there anyway. A Gallery of the Unknowns would be when we've been unable to give an ID but the croton looks like it would have been named ( in other words, it's a winner ). The croton that's now in the wiki as Tim Anderson is an example. That's not its name, it's a place holder. Yet the plant is superior and probably was named at one time. To have such a gallery would allow us at some point to show it to Bob Alonso, Mark Hooten, Johnny Shelton or any other expert to see if they could shed any light.

I think this is a good parameter. Please say what you feel so we can do what all of you want.

I check the new forum regularly but if I do not know the plant I do not post anything.I think people are visiting but they are so many unknown plants out there.In my journeys last year I saw at least 500-600 plants that are unnamed,which is unsurprising when one considers just how genetically unstable these plants are.I would guess that they are thousands of new varieties being introduced naturally and plus the hybridizing that is going on every year (jerry produces 600-700 new every year from his garden alone) My guess is that there are at least 10-20 thousand distinct varieties out there now and that will keep increasing every month.Most of them are not very good as I keep tossing seedlings out in my garden that do not look promising.

Hey - its hard to get folks to participate by posting photos in our regular forum IMO.

And so it goes ... :confused: