In case you forgot why you moved to Florida!

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by RonDEZone7a, Dec 20, 2009.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. RonDEZone7a

RonDEZone7a Active Member

While you Florida people woke up to 70s and sunshine, I woke up to THIS!
    [​IMG]

And THIS!
    [​IMG]

So when some man knocked on my door, with a caterpillar shoveler parked in front of my house, I said "Wait a minute..." and I located my wallet. I soon returned and said: "Go ahead and start plowing! I'll PAY!!!!"
    [​IMG]

2. RonDEZone7a

But meanwhile... in the sunroom

It was warm and sunny!
    [​IMG]

Crotons were thriving!
    [​IMG]

The sunroom was the best purchase I ever made!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Great pics! Thanks for the reminder!

4. MattyB

MattyB Moderator

What's all that white stuff?

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

What a contrast - Crotons and snow in the same pic.

6. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

GAHHHHHH! That stuff brings back distant memories (really bad ones hehe)....

Thanks for the reminder - I was just b**ching about the temp here, and suddenly I feel more like being grateful!

Ron, the sunroom is worth every dime it must have cost! You are really going to enjoy it - your own little tropical paradise in that winter hell.

7. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Ron,

I think it's a pretty sight to see the snow in the background with something so tropical like crotons thriving in your sunroom.

BUT......you can keep it. I'm a Florida boy, native, and probably couldn't survive up there, just like the crotons( if they were outside).:)

Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

8. freakypalmguy

freakypalmguy Active Member

Cool view Ron. I'm sure it's like me hanging out in my greenhouse on a rainy day.

Matt

9. RonDEZone7a

I can handle winter in Delaware when it's at least in the 40s and dry. But this snow is deep this time and won't be going away soon! And it keeps the temps down like an icebox. It's been around freezing by day and in the 20s by night, these last few days.

Despite the sunroom, I may still have to move to Florida some day! However, in the meantime, I do have several Needle Palms and Sabal minors in my backyard, which have proved to be Zone 7 hardy, as advertised.

[​IMG]

I also have several of these croton look-alikes (Aucuba japonica).

[​IMG]

10. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

Really beautiful photos, Ron. Btw - there's a croton known as "Aucubifolia," and a species of Aucuba called "crotonifolia."

You all sure got slammed with a lot of snow - and awfully early for that, isn't it - this winter may be an ugly one.

11. RonDEZone7a

'there's a croton known as "Aucubifolia," and a species of Aucuba called "crotonifolia." '

Sihara,

I'd heard about those cultivars in both plants! It's like people wanted a plant they'd missed, when they moved to where they could only have crotons or aucubas, but not both! I'm greatful I can at least have Aucubas here in Delaware. I don't think people grow them much further north.

Yes - this weather is more typical of a once or twice a year, mid-winter (late Jan / early Feb) cold spell. It's scary to think how early it is, and we're having this weather so soon. Hopefully, it's a fluke and things will warm up soon. The snow is so deep now that I had to dig a path through my backyard so my dog could walk around and do her "business"!

Here is Sparky on the "Poopy Trail" I made for her.
    [​IMG]

But most of the time, she is snuggled up inside...
    [​IMG]

12. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Ron, I'm betting you've seen the worst winter has in store for you this year. What happens now really has no bearing on what happens later.

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Has anyone heard from Ron? Have not seen him online for some time now. I hope all is alright with him! :confused:

14. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

What was I thinking when I posted on December 23rd?? The worst was yet to come and I need to put the crack pipe down.

15. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Yeah Ray, since when do you play the optimist? :p