Important Link

I just might try and make it down for the meeting, sure sounds interesting! And....our very own Judy and Jim Glock and Brenda and Jerry Shilling are just now returning home this weekend from the 2012 Palm Society Biennial in Thailand and then flew over to Singapore to visit this new garden. maybe they will have some pictures to share of how the many crotons planted there are doing. At very least, they'll be up at my sale in two weeks and can share some interesting stories with us all.

I'm definitely going. Alot of crotons in that garden. Buyers for the garden hit South and West Florida and purchased every different cultivar they could lay their hands on ... :cool:

Quite a collection was made. :eek:

The crotons we saw at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore were very disappointing. At least 50% were heavily invested with scale and many were bleached out. I saw a dozen or so with there leaves drooping badly due to a lack of water. Overall the garden has great potential but it needs several years of growth before you visit. The two gardens inside the domes were great however.

The following day we visited the old Singapore Botanical Garden and that was special. Jim was running around like a kid in a candy store. There were some amazing palms there as well as some majestic ole trees. Unfortunately very few if any crotons. In fact, we were all taken how few crotons we saw in the Singapore landscape. Although expensive, Singapore is an amazing city...glad we were able to experience it.

Jerry,

I was amazed at how few crotons we saw in Thailand. Aside from the one area of Nong Nooch, there were no crotons in the garden. Hopefully, Jeff was able to convince Kampon to add some color.

I wonder if Singapore had croton scale, or did they get it from Florida on all the plants that was sent over there from here? If it came from here, how sad.

I wonder if Singapore had croton scale, or did they get it from Florida on all the plants that was sent over there from here? If it came from here, how sad.

Yes, a sad day if the scale hitched a ride from here. Does anyone know where this scale actually originated from?

Yes, a sad day if the scale hitched a ride from here. Does anyone know where this scale actually originated from?

I asked Bob Pope about this at the meeting tonight and he said he wasn't sure if they had croton scale in Singapore before the arrival of the crotons. He also said the crotons were sprayed and fumigated before shipping them over.

...and what kind of scale ?? Recall that we are dealinbg with two kinds of scale here in Florida, both of which are fairly new (to science and gardenrs) species, i.e., Philipedra tuberculosa, the big green squishy one that arrived in 1981 in the Miami area and
Philipedra sp. nr. crescentiae (Cockerell) , the so-called croton scale.

Up here in St. Pete i've had occasional small infestations of the big green squishy one and have treated them with an oil spray to smother them along with coffee and Orthene for the remainders and also to kill the ants which seem to thrive with the scale and probably move it around. Fortunately, no croton scale here.