If you like Sex ...

In case you were afraid to click on the link - this is what you missed ... :rolleyes:

Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society Meeting

Monday, January 28th 7:30 pm Corbin Bldg

The Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society proudly presents:

Dr. Scott Zona, who will speak on Sex in the Garden

. Flowers are all about sex! This presentation explores the world of

pollination, which is the transfer of pollen to the stigma and a necessary step in sexual

reproduction. The marvelous ways in which this transfer is accomplished – birds,

bats, wind, water, etc. are explored in depth.

Dr. Zona, a tropical botanist, is curator of the Wertheim Conservatory at Florida

International University and faculty in the Dept. of Biological Sciences. Co-Editor of Palms (Journal of the International Palm Society) and an IPS (International Palm Society) Director.

Co-Author of An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms.

The Raffle Table will be provided by

Fantastic Ferns LLC (Frank & Sally Tastinger)

and Redland Nursery. John DeMott & Ellis Brown

Anticipating a very large crowd - the ladies were busy arranging the food tables. This was early on - the amount of food was huge. The desert table was overflowing by meeting time. Homemade Cranberry Bread, Lemon Cake from scratch and a mess of homemade cookies were most notable. There were other scruptious homemade deserts that I sampled - just don't know what they were called ... :eek:

Attachments

• Sex - get ready 1.JPG
    Sex - get ready 1.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Sex - get ready 2.JPG
    Sex - get ready 2.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 37
Oh - and there were many nice plants ... :cool:

This was very early - plants were still coming in through the door.

Attachments

• Sex - plants 1.JPG
    Sex - plants 1.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 62
  • Sex - plants 2.JPG
    Sex - plants 2.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 53
This is still 45 minutes before the start of the meeting. A pretty good size early crowd. Dr. Scott Zona is a very well known speaker. He attracts many plant-a-holics. :D

The lady in pink (2nd photo, center) is our newest member (I forgot her name ) and this was her very first meeting. She did very well with our plant raffle. :)

I've have attended many a different plant society meetings over the years. The Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society has the nicest and friendliest group of members I have ever been around. Having only been a member a short period, I found these people to be sincerely welcoming. They make me feel like I've known them for years. :cool:

Attachments

• Sex - early crowd 1.JPG
    Sex - early crowd 1.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Sex - early crowd 2.JPG
    Sex - early crowd 2.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Sex - early crowd 3.JPG
    Sex - early crowd 3.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 63
Here is our Keynote Speaker: Dr. Scott Zona (Background, red shirt) leaning over checking out a plant that has caught his eye.

Scott's presentation included tons of unusual flowers I had never seen before. Most were photos he has collected over the years during his travels. I also learned that Dr. Zona is a hummingbird aficionado. He had quite the array of feeding hummingbird photos that he shared with us. :cool:

Attachments

• Sex - Scott.JPG
    Sex - Scott.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 45