If I could only have 20 cultivars

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by kwtimo, May 16, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

So I have thought of the many times that I have said to myself and others, "Oh yeah, that's a top 20 croton", and had to really think of what they would actually be. That's a really tough task, because as I am exposed to more cultivars, and see how they can look at their peak of color, the list has seemed to change a bit here and there. What if I really only could have 20 cultivars? What would I choose to look at for the rest of my days? What are the cultivars that I have bought multiples of and always try to plant in landscapes? I've attempted to make a solid list here, but I know that I would most likely want to swap a few out here and there. There are a few, however, that I just wouldn't want to live without, starting with:
    1. Sybil Griffin
    2. Princess Eugenia
    3. Father's Day
    4. Pop's Yard
    5. Cutler's Gulfstream
    6. Stained Glass
    7. Flamingo
    8. Arrowhead
    9. William Craig
    10.Tiger Eye
    11. Carol Graff
    12. Irene Kingsley
    13. Commotion
    14. Cronstadt
    15. Mosaic
    16. Thomas Edison
    17. Queen of Siam
    18. Sturrock's Pink Veitchii
    19. R.L. Farquar
    20. Fishbone
    Obviously, there are other cultivars that could have easily been on my list, like Exotica, Scarlet Fever, Mr. White, Monarch, Stoplight, Limelight, Prince of Orange, A.B. Cartiledge, MacKenzie, and so on, but this is what I came up with. What say you? What would you pick if you had to narrow it down to 20?

2. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Ooooohhhh..... I'll play. The plants I'll mention are not necessarily in my yard, but specimens I've seen in others' yards also. Tim, I see we have a lot of overlap!

1)Thea
    2)Tali as seen in Stan Wood's yard
    3)My semi-oak unknown I call Hope. It is the one in my avatar
    4)Polychrome
    5)Rudy Bachman
    6)Father's Day- as seen in Jeff Searle's yard
    7)General Marshall
    8)William Craig
    9)Kiss and Tell
    10)Thomas Edison
    11)Claude Lorraine
    12)Raphael
    13)Sybil Griffin
    14)Arrowhead
    15)Doris
    16)Stained Glass- I find this one looks great some of the year, not so much at other times
    17)Waterfall as seen in others' yards
    18)My oak-leaf unknown with long side lobes
    19)Cronstadt
    20)Fishbone
    21)Monarch
    22)Limelight
    23)Gonzales
    24)Lucille Alonzo

Alright, people, I just couldn't leave the last 4 out. ShamefullyEmbarrased

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Hey Tim, what type of light is your Princess Eugenia in? Mine is getting fried by several hours of afternoon sun, so I need to find a better place for it. Boy, that plant has suffered, and it definitely shows!

4. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Anna, I have four of these (soon to be five once the air layer is ready), at three different properties. The two that look the best are in some direct pre-noon sun, and then they receive filtered light the rest of the day. I have a more juvenile plant in similar conditions that should put on some good growth this year, and it looks pretty good. Then I have one that is shaded out, and it looks rather poor and never colors up. That one needs to be moved. I forgot all about Tali for my Top 20 list. I would definitely remove a cultivar to be able to have that.

5. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

This is fun, I will think about 20 cultivars but I really want 20 acres.

waykoolplantz likes this.
  6. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

It's hard to imagine being limited to just 20 varieties. Part of the fun of collecting crotons is that there are so many to choose from. But if I had to choose, here are my top 20.

1. Princess Eugenia
    2. Tali
    3. Flamingo
    4. Davis 87
    5. John Criswick
    6. Trinidad Interrupted Leaf
    7. Doris
    8. Mona Lisa
    9. Queen of Siam
    10. Rudy Bachman
    11. William Craig
    12. Sybil Griffin
    13. Polychrome
    14. Robert Halgrim
    15. Fishbone
    16. Irresistible
    17. Exotica
    18. Barack Obama
    19. Columbiana
    20. Prince of Orange

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

1.Barack Obama
    2.John Criswick
    3.Polychrome
    4.Flamingo
    5.Rudy Bachman
    6.Exotica
    7.White Tapestry
    8.Davis 87
    9.Amabile
    10.Stained Glass
    11.Tali
    12.Stan's Big and Weird
    13.Thea
    14.Davis 14
    15.Red Quill
    16.Fascination
    17.Pretty Bird
    18.R.L. Farquar
    19.Granada
    20.Joanna Roof

Native son likes this.
  8. Native son

Mike please post a picture of Barack Obama, it is not in the Wiki and I don't remember it. TKS.

9. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Marie and Mike, you both mentioned Davis 87, which was a definite consideration for me. I have yet to find its optimum lighting preference though, so I don't feel like I have seen it at its peak of color. What kind of lighting do you have yours in?

10. Bullwinkle

No Pic Lamar. Marie,Jose and Cookie have this one,Very,very pretty but has not made it to Plantation yet :) I understand that it is a moderate grower so it will be up this way before too long.

11. Bullwinkle

I would say Davis 87 needs some direct sun during the day to gt its best color but like most crotons half and half is about perfect.

12. Native son

13. Native son

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Plus 10 image.jpg

Moose likes this.
  14. Native son

I had to stop my IPad got hot and started posting doubles and randomness, I hope you got the idea.

15. Native son

FYI. # 8 from the top is great new growth on Davis Compacta I hope this is what is really like if anyone else can post DComp. Please do. image.jpg

Kingdavid and kwtimo like this.
  16. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of Barack Obama. In the last two I moved the flush out of the way to show the final colors of the leaves.

DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

Native son and kwtimo like this.
  17. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I love seeing everyone's top 20. Alerts me to the possibilities for my list. Lamar, lovely, lovely. Would have loved some names along with the photos- especially for a few of them. Marie, your Barack Obama is stunning! Yes, this thread needs more photos. Definitely some winner crotons in the top 20. Thanks everyone.

18. Native son

1 Gulf Stream, 2 Anna Lopez, 3 Pink Davis, 4 , 5 ? From Ree Gardens, 6 Edison, 7 My version of Black Beauty 8 Davis Compacta, 9 #93, 10 Narrow Leaf Pride of Winter Haven, 11 , 12, 13 Wilma, 14 Blotched Thanksgiving

19. Native son

4 Don Quixote, Oppps. 11 might be Joseph Fondeur

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  20. Native son

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The second ten image.jpg . You must call and then come to visit to get the names. :)-()<

Attached Files:

21. Emmylou

Emmylou Active Member

This is just way too hard. I keep trying and come up with more than 20 each time. Oh well, here goes:
    1. Sybil Griffin
    2. Arrowhead
    3. Golden Glow
    4. Tiger Eye'
    5. Freckles
    6. Tan Wi Kiat
    7. Stop Light
    8. Delores
    9. King of Siam
    10. Dreadlocks
    11, Caribbean Star
    12. Duke of Windsor
    13. Geisha Girl
    14. Thomas Edison
    15. Raphael
    16. Nestor
    17. Trinadad Interupted leaf
    18. Thomas Edison
    19. Majesticum
    20. Cronstadt

I could keep going, but this is a good start on some of the ones I love. I really need to get a Barack Obama. Love that one.

22. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

My favorite is Zanzibar (Brilliantissima) but it is not a favorite for my winter in this part of Fl. Why I keep it? I do not know. pizap.com14319874530811.jpg

23. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I tend to gravitate to the thinner leaf Crotons as my favorites. pizap.com14319870300861.jpg pizap.com14319871274811.jpg pizap.com14319872488301.jpg pizap.com14319873250231.jpg pizap.com14319877744441.jpg pizap.com14319876693811.jpg

annafl likes this.
  24. VeroKarl

VeroKarl Well-Known Member

This is such a great thread. I am getting plenty of ideas of what I need to add to my collection based on crotons that are consistent favorites. I am going to chose from the plants I have experience growing and are in my garden (some for years and others recently added) for my top 20. Some may get knocked out when new plants start to settle in and color up.

1. Tiger Eye
    2. Applause
    3. Madame Butterfly
    4. Polychrome
    5. Reliance
    6. Duke of Windsor
    7. King of Siam
    8. Piecrust
    9. Duncan Macaw
    10. Claude Lorraine
    11. Pop's Yard
    12. Tan Wi Kiat
    13. Doris
    14. Lucha
    15. Fish Bone
    16. Rudy Bachman
    17. Hazard/Green Dragon
    18. Buddy
    19. Nancy Reagan
    20. Waterfall

25. Native son

Hey Scott my Joe Fondeur might be Zanzibar My IPad fired out three shots up above.

26. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Reliance! Karl, I'd forgotten about Reliance. Phil has one that's Gorgeous! It's a beautiful cultivar.

Marnie, you entered Thomas Edison twice! You get one more pick.

Scott, why don't you keep Zanzibar in a pot you can bring indoors?

By the way, I'm ashamed I'm the only one that couldn't stop at 20. But I couldn't. Sorry.:D

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  27. Native son

image.jpg image.jpg Reliance and an all yellow sport I cut from a destroyed plant at my tennis club(branch fell and killed the host) image.jpg

28. Native son

Lil' A. You have carty blanchie you can post as much as you like. That said you have to keep doing all the work we enjoy!

29. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what Moose's Top 20 croton list would look like?:mooseman

30. Emmylou

Emmylou Active Member

I can't believe I listed Thomas Edison twice after all of my fretting over that list. Now I have to decide which of my alternates makes the list. I think it will be that beautiful Cotton Candy that I would love to have. Thanks for the heads up Ana.

31. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Anna, I have kept another Zanzibar in a pot and have brought it in when temps were below 45f. It only looks a little better than my ground planted one. Planted it in the ground last month and here is it's not so pretty picture. I gave it my best go, but sometimes that is still not good enough. pizap.com14320701369811.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  32. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Reliance and P. Paintbrush are 2 more in my top 20, but I no longer grow them. Trust me "they have a better home now". Still have a few Rocio that are in my top 20. Not a great looking plant here but I will put my one and only seedling in my top 20. pizap.com14302614760911.jpg pizap.com14302613451871.jpg pizap.com14302614050571.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  33. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

After thinking a bit, I compiled my list, And there was certainly many others that could of been included. But here goes...

Polychrome

Catch of the Day

Cover Girl

Jack Pot

Rudy Bachman

Magnificent

Searle #2

Henry's Favorite

Claude Lorraine

Jungle Queen

Playboy

Pops Yard

Princess Eugenia

R.L. Farquhar

Richard Krukonis

Thomas Edison

Fathers Day

Limelight

Monarch

Eleanor Fischer

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Kingdavid likes this.
  34. kurt decker

kurt decker Well-Known Member

Red mona lisa, grenada, polychrome, joe friday, carribean star, jungle queen, franklin, wizard, rudy bachman, red wizard, fishbone, glen roof, mrs. ballard, thomas edison, captain gilbert cutler, tortoiseshell, doris decker, tigers eye, princess eugenia, candy cane.

Kingdavid likes this.
  35. kurt decker

kurt decker Well-Known Member

Before hurricane wilma, even a beginner could go out and scour some appropriate neighborhoods and come home with a nice collection of stuff pretty quickly. These are excellent but fairly common plants that grow well and used to be widespread in dade and broward. Stoplight, franklin, general paget, eleanor, corkscrew, irene kingsley, bravo, joanna coppinger, harvest moon, carribean star, davis 7, majesticum, gloriosa, william craig, general mcaurthur, rams horn, rheedii, iceton, commotion, cronstadt.

36. Native son

image.jpg image.jpg Alternative 20 image.jpg Gloriosa Superbu,. Rudy B., Christian Landscape,. Norwood Beauty. image.jpg

kwtimo and annafl like this.
  37. Native son

#1 Norwood. #2 Christians. #3 Gloriosa. #4 Rudy B.

38. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I am eager and curious to see some of these above named cultivars I've seen only in the wiki, or not at all! Kurt, would love to see Doris Decker! Jeff, please give us followup and new photos on Jackpot (any history here would be great!), Catch of the Day, Searle #2. Would also love to see new photos of a more mature Cover Girl and Richard Krukonis. Pretty please?:D

39. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

If this thread was the top 21 would anybody pick John Bender? After seeing a large planting in the Kampong estate I fell in love with this croton.

Native son likes this.
  40. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I don't know if these are my top 20 only because they seem to be scale resistant or just nicely colored.

1. Thea
    2. Dreadlocks
    3. Kentucky
    4. Capt. Gilbert Cutler
    5. Alley Cat
    6. FDR
    7. Ram's Horn
    8. Mrs. WF Dreer
    9. King of Siam
    10. Van Buren
    11. Gloriosa
    12. Tiger's Eye