1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

ID Coccothrinax

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS OF PALMS AND CYCADS' started by GLORIA, Feb 2, 2009.

1. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

I got this from the Nov palm sale in Fairchild and wanted to know what sub-spicies. I planted it under a 35 ft. power line.
    Gloria

Attached Files:

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I can't help you with the species. But if you mentioned the 35 foot power line because you are concerned about height --- Don't worry unless you plan on living another 200 years --- and probably not even then. :D

Thanks for the nice photos.

3. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

I am posting new pictures of the same plant taken this week.

Attached Files:

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Gloria - you lost the tag? Coccothrinax are difficult to id without flowers, seeds and being an adult. Even then it is precarious. Who did you buy it from? What was the length of time between the pictures. If it is relatively fast for a Coccothrinax it could be C. alta or C. barbadensis. If it is fast and gets a real fat trunk then it is C. spissa. :rolleyes:

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I don't have a clue what species, but it sure looks like a happy healthy plant. You must be doing something right.

6. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Moose,
    I got it during the SFPS sale at Montgomery. It was given to me free and I planted it this Feb. It seems happy and has grown fast.
    Gloria

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Gloria - I would say it is a 90 % chance to be a Coccothrinax barbadensis or a hybrid with Coccothrinax barbadensis as one of the parents then.

Ron. :)

8. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Ron,
    I have another Coccothrinax Barbadensis which I purchased from Claude. It should be interesting to compare the two as they mature. They are both planted very close together. I will post a picture of the other one soon.

9. Dave H

Dave H Active Member

I agree, looks like spitting image of my several C. Barbadensis I have. And they do seem to be fast growers ( for a Coccothrinax ) that is. :)