I took a double take

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I first noticed these growths growing downwards from the John Cummins branch in the summer. I assumed they were just a root type of growth trying to reach the ground. I was shocked to notice today that the strange growth has leaves. o_O
IMG_7350.JPG

I have seen this on several of my Ti Plants. When I first saw it, I thought it was really weird. But now I have seen it on three or four. These plants are just survivors, and have many methods of propogating.

I first noticed these growths growing downwards from the John Cummins branch in the summer. I assumed they were just a root type of growth trying to reach the ground. I was shocked to notice today that the strange growth has leaves. o_O View attachment 29222
Adventitious buds develop from places other than a shoot apical meristem, which occurs at the tip of a stem, or on a shoot node, at the leaf axil, the bud being left there during the primary growth. They may develop on roots or leaves, or on shoots as a new growth. Shoot apical meristems produce one or more axillary or lateral buds at each node. When stems produce considerable secondary growth, the axillary buds may be destroyed. Adventitious buds may then develop on stems with secondary growth.

After taking a closer look at some of the other Ti, I have noticed a few of them doing this also.