I need palm recommendations for new croton area.

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by annafl, Aug 22, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Every time I look at this thread I can't help but think of Jerry. If only he had this much more space to work with in his garden. I know he would have it completely packed full of croton bling in no time. :D

2. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ana, You may know by now the CFPACS tour @ Faiths is 9/14/13. http://www.cfpacs.org?palmateer (Sept Newsletter pg.3 for all info) ​

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I've gotten a few things since I last posted but I'm still considering palms for other areas of my garden. Amongst those are the ptychosperma that Phil mentioned and the Dypsis Onilahensis and Saintlucei that Savannah mentioned and maybe the Ravenea Hildebrandtii. What do you all think of the following companion palms for crotons for my area. Are they realistic?

Clinostigma savoryanum
    Dictyosperma album var. conjugatum
    Hyophorbe varschaffeltii
    Calyptrocalyx forbesii or other in species
    Carpoxylon macrospermum

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Ana,

I am out of my area of expertise when it comes to your climate. It is much different than my experience. But having said that, I think your selections mentioned above all have a chance, especially when gaining some size, except for the Calyptrocalyx. I think those are touchy when it comes to even a night of near freezing. Before trying any of those, if it was me I would want to see a succesfully grown one first.

But, they are beautiful palms and one of my favorite genera. And most can be grown in pots for a long time. So if offered a nice one at a nice price - what do you have to lose? :digger1

5. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, Dean. I'll see what's available.