I.D. Request II

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Found this cultivar growing at Jackson North Medical Center in North Miami Beach (formerly Parkway General Hospital) on the NE side of the building. Noticing the brillant colors in the morning sun and happening to have my camera with me :eek: you get to see beautiul colors. Can anyone guess what it is? I have no clue. :eek:

Ron. :)

Attachments

• Croton #42.jpg
    Croton #42.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Croton #42b.jpg
    Croton #42b.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Croton #42c.jpg
    Croton #42c.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Croton #42d.jpg
    Croton #42d.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 167
Ray - It appears that this not yet identified cultivar may be worthy of a return visit with some clippers? ;) Ricky any ideas? I don't believe this one is well cared for. So many variables that causes leaf coloring. It seems to me that each stem has a slightly different pattern and coloration. This plant may be very unstable genetically. I see the photo of "the clown" in Frank Brown's book. From the description of "the clown" continually "morphing" how could anyone know what one looks like or be able to give a positive I.D? :eek:

Judy - I see you logged on quite a bit but you never post your opinion. Having probably one of the best croton collections around (as per Jeff Searle) and a croton maven - why don't you give us your two cents worth on some of these threads? :confused:

Ron - You've seen it up close and personal; does it look like this (and I've deleted some old photo folders from my website, so there's room to leave these shots up permanently):

zadroga.gif

Ricky - you can enlarge my photos and see some spotting but not as prominent as the ones in your photo. As stated before, Each branch on this cultivar that I posted appears to be different. Very confusing to say the least to i.d. :confused:

Thank you for posting your picture for refernce, it looks like a gorgeous croton!:eek:

Kindest regards,

Ray - Not that I'm doubting the ID, but where does Bob Alonzo keep a record of all these Crotons? If he is the expert, how can we tap his knowledge so that we can build an accurate database? I'm beginning to wonder if ANY of the Crotons in my garden have correct names!

Ray - Not that I'm doubting the ID, but where does Bob Alonzo keep a record of all these Crotons? If he is the expert, how can we tap his knowledge so that we can build an accurate database? I'm beginning to wonder if ANY of the Crotons in my garden have correct names!

Ricky,

That's funny! I was thinking the same thing when you first started posting. But, no worries. I think you stated in the beginning that alot, or most of your first crotons came from DM. He's a great friend and all, but he for what ever reason put alot of incorrect names on crotons when he came across them.

Bob Alonzo IMO, is the leading authority on ID'ing crotons at this time. He's a very close friend of Dr Brown and from what I know of him, he has dedicated his life to the study and preservation of crotons as we know them. Now, with that being said, he's not perfect, or if he's not sure, he will tell you. It would be nice if he could make his way over to your home and garden when we all get together next month. That's why I'm excited that he's coming over one day next week. I want him to clear some names/plants up before I put them out to sell. And again, if he's not sure, he'll tell me he's not sure.

Jeff

Jeff

No - it is all the crotonheads trying to i.d. cultivars. A photo library seems to be essential. I believe the identifications may morph as the fluid level in the Glenfiddich bottle lowers. :eek:

Ron. :p

Ricky - Whatever label that will attract Bob Alonzo will work for me. :p Do you know where is he located. Any chance for him to show up for the meeting at your place Oct. 17? Mr. John Bender attended the meeting in June. We need to record what these guys know while we can. It will eventually be lost like many of the American native languages. :rolleyes:

Jim - If you mean spraying the weeds around a Croton to kill them and not harm the Croton, the answer is no. You will probably do some long term damage to the plant with heavy application. If you must spray weeds around any woody plant with RoundUp or similar products, use it sparingly and try to not to spray the woody trunk.

However, if you have far too many Croton seedlings, by all means, spray away; death will follow.

Jim - If you mean spraying the weeds around a Croton to kill them and not harm the Croton, the answer is no. You will probably do some long term damage to the plant with heavy application. If you must spray weeds around any woody plant with RoundUp or similar products, use it sparingly and try to not to spray the woody trunk.

However, if you have far too many Croton seedlings, by all means, spray away; death will follow.

Ricky - Jim is being sarcastic. He likes to refer to crotons as weeds mostly to piss off his wife who is a great lover of crotons. I believe that Jim is a Palm Freak. :rolleyes:

Ricky - Jim Glock is a Coors Light consumer if that tells you anything. I am going back to this place next week and am going to start some air layers going. I am going to label it as "Mrs. W.F. Dreer?" until we can get a more definitive id. It looks more like Ricky's photo than any other suggestions here. :confused:

Ron. :rolleyes: