I.D. part 7

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Here are a couple more needing I.D. :confused: The first one the owner said it was growing already there when he purchased the house 37 years ago.

Croton Fetus :eek:, Ron. :eek:

Attachments

• Croton #16.jpg
    Croton #16.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Croton #16b.jpg
    Croton #16b.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Croton #17.jpg
    Croton #17.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Croton #17b.jpg
    Croton #17b.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 196
I think the first one is Andreanum rather than Rheedii. Does it have orange as well as pink in it?

It is growing on the northwest corner of the property growing beneath a large Poincianna tree in pretty heavy filtered light. If you blow up the pictue you can find a limited amount of orange on some leaves only. I am new to crotons and know nothing about making an I.D. :(

Ron. :)

The third photo has interrupted leaves. I'd say that one is Interruptum.

The first photo is more pink than orange and strongly resembles Rheedii

Good eye Ray. I did not notice that interrupted leaf before. Enlarging the photo,it looks like that may be the only leaf like that. I will visit the plant and seach for more interrupted leaves and report back what I find.

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Well... I just took a quick pass through the garden (the mosquitoes are out of control, again) and except for the one I brought back from Costa Rica, all of what I've been calling "Picturatum" have one or two interrupted leaves. Does that mean they are "Interruptums"? I would think to have a name like that, they'd be as interrupted as "Mother and Daughter" or "Appendiculatum." Is it possible that "Picturatum" can have a few interrupted leaves? Is it then possible that "Picturatum" and "Interruptum" are the same variety?

Ricky,

Interruptum does not regularly produce interrupted leaves like M & D or Appendiculatum. It was one of the first interrupted forms and thus got the name before other more consistent interrupted forms came along. Its leaves are more narrow and do not have the Picturatum-like blotching. If I'm not mistaken, Interruptum also has a few twisted leaves here and there.

Ray

Ray - That's the one I've been calling Jonathon Schwartz. It was a sport off the M&D I found in Boynton Beach. Oy! This is getting more confusing by the hour.