Hyphaene in Melbourne FL

A beautiful specimen of Hyphaene located at Florida Institute of technology. Dent Smith, the founder of the International Palm Society, was instrumental in planting palms at FIT. There is an arboretum on site and the trail is named in his honor. If you find yourself in the vicinity of Melbourne, stop in and walk the campus. Its actually in USDA Zone 9B, but barely. In one of the arctic 80's freeze events, this locale dropped to 19F. This Hyphaene more than likely survived that event. There are a few others on this campus as well. This inspired me to give it a try in Winter Haven. So far, so good.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 235
A beautiful specimen of Hyphaene located at Florida Institute of technology. Dent Smith, the founder of the International Palm Society, was instrumental in planting palms at FIT. There is an arboretum on site and the trail is named in his honor. If you find yourself in the vicinity of Melbourne, stop in and walk the campus. Its actually in USDA Zone 9B, but barely. In one of the arctic 80's freeze events, this locale dropped to 19F. This Hyphaene more than likely survived that event. There are a few others on this campus as well. This inspired me to give it a try in Winter Haven. So far, so good.
Very nice Keith, I'll get it entered, Ed